Firing Board Comparison

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by jadfer, Oct 29, 2011.

1. phill

phill Active Member

Where can I actually find the list? I've got solenoids on order so need a ay to fire them.

2. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

First part of the thread on page 1, very first post.

3. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Here it is. The Strike Models firing board. It uses 2 channels from receiver to make 4 firing channels for solenoids. I forget the amperage rating but I remember it was more than adequate. It also uses an external voltage supply for said firing channels. Good for 12v solenoids:) I believe he said it works with virtually all radios and the channel engages at 50% throw. It came with conformal coating on the board then the whole thing was encapsulated in double layer shrink wrap. Meaning it has a thick clear jacket with an inner liner that melts and conforms to components. I will try to get Stephen to give me all the specs again. I also hope I can post a "review" soon.
    [​IMG]

4. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Don't trust the outer layer to keep water out. That mistake was made at MWC NATS and zee captain wasn't very happy with the results. Probably still best to put them in a chunk of epoxy or slathered with scotchkote.

5. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I also picked one up for my Alsace this year. I plan on reviewing it after my fourth battle with it--so the second or third week in September. I am using revision 2.7 for those who are interested. ( I love it when manufacturers print revision numbers on the circuit board, BTW.)

6. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Snipe,

They were just using shrink wrap on the boards?

7. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

The board is really nice. How much do they cost?

8. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

It is a marine shrink wrap with hot-glue on the inside. I think they are $65--or were in June.

9. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Hot glue isn't waterproof, fair warning :)

10. buttsakauf

I was still intending to throw some skotchkote on the openings. There is a conformal coating on the board. There is nothing I trust like 2 good layers of skotchkote though:)

11. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike, I had been curious about that for some time. I can tell you from experience that the 'shrink and seal' shrink tubing I have been using is not waterproof. It seems there is always a place where it doesnt reach. My suggestion to Strike is to provide on the side and allow you to put it on after several coats of conformal coating or skotchcote or epoxy. Then to put it back on.

As far as the burned out board issue, I was asking Snipehunter if the boards that burned out at MWC Nats (I am assuming it was Steve) had waterproofing on them and/or just the shrink wrap.

12. SnipeHunter

I'd rather they just get supplied without any heat shrink as I'm just going to cut it off and throw it anyway anyway so I can waterproof it properly. Really Strike should just supply them as boards with no coating or shrink and let the user waterproof them as desired. It seems to work well for other firing boards.

I dont know if the strike boards actually burned out or if they just went wonky and didnt work again till a good drying. (I believe it was Ty that was using them.) Either way the "Conformal coating" and "waterproof shrink wrap" were ineffective.

Steve's boards fried, I thought that was more Steve being Steve than a waterproofing issue. (They all fried so it was probably a reversed voltage or connecting the wrong battery or a short somewhere or something like that.)

13. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Well it depends on the specific hot glue--the polymers and additives used. I know of a SoDak that has had it stuffing tubes held in with hot glue for years.

14. buttsakauf

Stephen at Strike indicated that he put two layers of a conformal coating on the board and then the tubing.The ends appear to be compressed with pliers of some sort to force the melted tubing liner inbetween the wires. The length of tubing to wire overlap is also comforting in its own right. I honestly can't remember the individual unit cost. Around $40-$50 or so.

15. SnipeHunter

Any idea how easy is that stuff to remove so they can be waterproofed better?

16. buttsakauf

To remove the shrink tubing just cut down one edge carefully with an xacto knife. I bet the glue will peel off.

17. SnipeHunter

Oh, I assumed the glue would stick to the board/parts, silly me.

18. buttsakauf

Most versions of melting glue are usually more cohesive than adhesive. That is not an absolute just a trend I've noticed. If it does prove to be rather adhesive and leaves bits stuck on there... No big deal. I'll just skotchkote over those bits and call it good.

19. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Let me know when you get the specs so we can add it to the list. Thanks

20. wrenow

wrenow RIP

I am mildly surprised that the www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p Jomar switch, which has been afound for ages, was not listed. Sure, the armored case is a bit bulky, but it is readily available.
    Cheers,