Firing Board Comparison

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by jadfer, Oct 29, 2011.

1. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I added it to the list but would have liked the input voltage or weight but its not listed. Overall I would say its size, cost, and low amp rating would rule out its use in my boats. I personally prefer smaller boards for my ships to conserve weight and lower cost as well.

2. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Any idea when the Firmtronics - BC / Battlerabbit - Double-shot is going to be available again and source/price?

Cheers,

3. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

No eta yet.

4. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Pololu just updated their R/C switch boards. They now include programable switch points and they are cheaper than before. Plus you can can set the direction of the switch - so now with a Y harness you can run two switches on one channel.
    http://www.pololu.com/product/2803

5. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I have been reading through this thread and now wish I hadn't. I am so confused! I am asuming that these boards are primarily for Big gun? The reason I ask is that I can run team delta boards(I think BC boards do the same now) and only need 1 channel to fire two different guns... like I said, I am so confused now with whats new...

I just know I use two of these older team delta boards on one channel using a y-extension for the receiver... so if I throw my gimble up I fire the bow gun, If I throw the gimble down, I fire the quads...
    http://www.servocity.com/html/micro_pwm_switch__10amp_.html

I do know BC has a new Dual Switch board allowing one channel to fire two positions all on one boards and not needing two boards as with the older team delta boards..
    http://battlersconnection.com/html/firecontrol.html

I dont see any place on Strikemodels that has the boards.. am I missing it?

6. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Nothing has changed.

The boards either fire 2 per channel like the Team Delta boards, requiring 2 boards and a y harness OR dual boards that have 2 firing circuits built in and can fire two 'positions' (a turret with a single gun, turret with dual or trip sterns, etc.). The dual boards do not need a y harness but will have 2 sets of wires that connect to the different solenoids/positions/turrets/whatever.

Some folks like to get the largest amp rating or voltage rated switch regardless of the load. for example a Kip @ 6V uses about 1 amp.. but folks will drive it with a 10 or 15a switch with a max voltage rating of 20v etc...

Others will match up the switch to the load a little more closely. With the dual board I use I can have 6 amps switched at a time which is enough to run 5 Kip solenoids @ 6V. I chose the board as it was very very small, handled the current and handled 16V which is higher than I would ever use.

So for example for a dual firing cruiser I would go with the cheapest board that could handle 2.5amps @ 6V or 12V. If a single firing board is cheaper I would use that. (this is my reasoning)

As far as I am aware you can use any firing board for Big Gun or Fast Gun as long as they support the amps/volt ratings of the load you plan to use.

I hope this helps you out.

J

7. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Yes, that cleared it up.. Thanks

I need to check my Delta boards as I have been firing 4- 6v Kips off of one board.. I may be putting too much on that board. Does anybody know the amp rating for the team delta rc200 boards?

8. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I found my data sheet... I am within range as the boards have a 5amp rating.

9. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

--Disclaimer: I designed and build the BC boards. Basically when ServoCity jacked up the prices of the TD boards I said I can do that better and cheaper--
    On the Big gun question, BC has boards that can enforce ROF rules for Treaty. (and can get them for Big Gun, or any other ruleset, if there is demand for them)

There a bunch of different options for circuits that can be used as firing boards, differences are things like capabilities, how the swithcing magic happens, random features which may or may not be attractive, cost, and size.

I don't know if BC has anymore but I know they had a few special crusier boards that used two channels in order to be able to fire a set of duals either independently or as true duals.

10. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Yes that's odd. I got an email with your addition but its not here.

McSpuds, I thought I remembered they were 5 amps so you are in good shape.