Firing button modification on Transmitters

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Gardengnome, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

I remember someone saying there is a company that will modify your transmitters w/ firing buttons. I am just drawing a blank. Anyone know off the top of their heads.

2. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I am fairly certain this was the guy/guys.

http://www.radiosouthrc.com/

I think two MWCI guys got theirs done there.

3. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Its really easy to do the mod yourself, mostly just simple soldering.
    The MWCI website has a good how-to article on the procedure.

4. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I was going to say that having spent the time altering the radio, I wish I had just added a set of buttons to the back of the radio where I can have four fingers on the four buttons at one time. With the push buttons in the gimbal mount I use one finger to do all. There are times I wish I could have done two at a time. This also means that you dont take anything out but rather just add some wire on top of the existing wires (or replace them).

5. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I just did mine and talked a friend through his. He said it took 20 minutes tops!

6. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

I have seen the instructions for the Spectrum but does anyone know if this has been done to the Futabas and are there instructions online anywhere?
    J

7. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Its been done to Futaba radios. Not sure if anyone has done a how to specific to a futaba but the basic process is the same. Just double check that the gimbal pots are 5k ohms, if so then its the same as the write up on the MWC website, if its not 5k Ohms the process is the same you'll just need to change the resistor values.

8. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I've done the mod on a Polk and a Futaba using the same resistor values. They work fine. :)

9. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks guys!!
    J

10. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

I moved my pushbuttons from my Futaba to my spektrum with no issues. Very easy to do.

11. wrenow

wrenow RIP

For what it is worth on placement, I put the firing buttons on the shoulder of the radio, where the DR/mix switch used to be. Not as likely to be fired if you set the radio down. This way, thumb runs right gimble [or other control(s) - I have a slide pot for traverse and a 3 position switch for depression] the trigger finger pulls the trigger (presses the fire button), while the other fingers support the radio.
    Cheers,

12. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I have seen several radios with the firing buttons on the back, with a trigger guard built around them. The buttons are placed in an ergonomic, easy-to-use position, and then the skipper put a pair of wooden knobs on the back so that when he set it down, the buttons were almost an inch away from the ground. Very neat.

13. wrenow

wrenow RIP

installation of guards and standoffs,...... Seems a lot of extra work over the option of just replacing the switch on the shoulder of the radio, which is also positioned to be ergonomic, especially for the old trigger finger....... But, whatever floats your boat (and sinks your opponents).:)

Cheers,

14. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Guys,
    I'm thing about doing this two my radio. after battling two year with the guys in ohio, My hand/eye coordination, SUCKS :)
    Niki

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  15. Captain obvious

Captain obvious Active Member

I know that this is an old thread but does anyone know what the price is to have this conversion done by the rc south guys?

16. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I've done my own buttons, but did have a radio changed from 72MHZ to 75MHZ back 4 or so years ago by Radio South. I'm pretty sure it was $50 plus shipping.

17. Captain obvious

Captain obvious Active Member

Not quite confident enough to do my own so I would have to have someone smarter than me do it.

18. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

If you can make the Ice Breaker in MN I can wire the buttons in Friday night.
    I take beer as payment.

19. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

pfffffffffffffft !!! Make sure you give him beer AFTER he works on the radio... whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

20. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member