First Combat Boat... suggestions?

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by tkern85, Sep 7, 2014.

1. tkern85

tkern85 New Member

After reading through all the different posts and threads about basically the same topic, i figured I'd try to answers as much about me and my thoughts on what I'm looking for/want to do right from the start. So....
    Hey there, my name is Travis, and totally new to all of this real life awesomeness I've dreamt of as a kid! I happened across some videos of rc naval combat for the first time last week while waiting for my next flight at the airport. I had been doing some research on rc fishing boats, (b/c I had recently modified a very old, kid style "cheapo" rc boat, that was kicking around the garage at my dad's lake place while I was back home visiting... and yes I actually caught a little small mouth bass with it! Haha), buuuuut as soon as I saw these glorious pond battles, I was glad I had a few hours to kill waiting on my flight, I had to know more! After spending most of my free time these last 2 weeks surfing the internet, I have a fairly good idea of what I'd like my first boat to be, but as I am so "green" to this type of rc, I'd love some feedback on y'alls thoughts and opinions on the subject...
    So, for a lil bit about me.... I love tinkering with and build things, have been doing it since I was a little kid, so I'm not afraid to spend time on the bench fitting things, fixing thing, and finding ways to make stuff work. l had little store bought rc's growing up, but bought my first rc nitro truck when I was 14 (traxxas nitro sport). It was used and already built, but first thing I did was tear it apart just so I could put it back together; clean it and see how it all worked. I thrashed it, played with it, and repaired it until I went off to college. She was sold at a garage sale, and I haven't had much of a chance to do much rc since then, tho still have "the rc itch"... Tools wise, I have enough to get by, and my aging grandfather has quite a bit of woodworking tools that I know he'll let me have/borrow. Plus, trips to hobby shops and hardware stores are always great fun, and a good excuse to buy a new toy :) haha
    As far as ships... I currently live in the Phoenix area, doesn't seem to be any local clubs that I could find, but going on a 5-10 hour road trip for a weekend of fun isn't out of question for me. (SCRAP over in Chino, Ca probably being my closest and best option) Between the decent sized pool in my backyard, im sure I could find a shut down golf course or two in the area that has a few water hazards i could practice my maneuvering in and such... Being my heritage and all, I want a German ship. Call me crazy, but whatever... As far as the ship itself goes and from what I have been looking at, I've been thinking between something like the Scharnhorst class, Bayern class, Bismarck class, or maybe even the Koing class of ships. l like how they look and are designed, and all seem to offer good gun placement. I want something that I can start off with, and not get bored with easily, options to expand if you may. Something that's got decent speed. Not necessarily a rabbit, but not a snail either; but most importantly for me, something that is maneuverable. I like the idea of having multiple gun options; bow, stern and side mount. Although side mount isn't a super crazy concern to me, as I think I would prefer a non "fur-ball" battle style boat, but would be nice for those up close passes and bunch-ups that seem so common. I would really like to incorporate rotating, pivoting or variable pitch (up/down) cannons for greater attack options when in battle. (My thought was pivoting bow/stern cannons, and rotating cannons that would be able to cover my side quadrants as well. Although might be overkill, but sounds cool!) With that, I am strongly leaning towards the Baden first, Scharnhorst second, and at third the Bismarck. The Bismarck being third because solely from what I've read, that it's only recommended for experienced battle captains. I feel as if I'm leaving something pivotal out, but sure there's lots of other things I don't know I haven't answered yet as well ha...
    Thoughts... Opinions... Suggestions... Fire Away! (Yes, pun was intended)

2. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Go to portpolarbear.com. Check out the reports page. There are a couple article on what to build for a first ship.

3. tkern85

tkern85 New Member

Hey thanks Bob! I didn't realize they had all that good info on there, lots of helpful stuff to read through on there

4. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Welcome aboard tkern. One note: You stated you didn't want a "snail" or "furball" boat. Both those describe the Baden. She's 28 sec (slowest combat ship speed in fastgun with the exception of convoys & monitors). You may want to consider some battlecruisers (Von der Tann, Moltke, Derfflinger). Good combo of speed & guns, and can both "run and gun" or "slugfest" depending on your preferred style

5. tkern85

tkern85 New Member

Thanks other Jeff. Guess I was thinking because (from what I've read), the baden is a well armoured and very maneuverable boat, that it would help make up for its lack of speed, and could still be utilized as a swoop-shoot-evade style boat...? it being a 5.5 unit boat, is very appealing for its "smaller" size. I actually had been looking at and thinking about a battlecruiser, something like the Scharnhorst. Good speed, good gun placement, and can arm all 4 quadrants (would require a rotating turret). From my understanding, under MWCI rules, the baden class is only allowed to have 3 armed quadrants, and those have to be fixed, as in couldn't have a rotating cannon that could cover both starboard and port side? Am I correct? But then in thinking about going with the Scharnhorst, why not just step up to the Bismarck class? Same speed, only like 4" longer, get another whole 1" in width, which makes me think would mean still has good turning abilities, and its a 6.5 unit ship... too many damn options haha...

6. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Very few people use rotates. They are not easy to keep working. They also make your hit% fall as the never really end up in the exact same spot.
    The traditional way to arm Scharny has been trip sterns and a bow sidemount. play run n gun like a cruiser. The new fad is lots of sidemounts, that would mean three sidemounts and two pumps. More of a slugging ship.
    Bismarck is one of the big ships. Starting with a big ship can be hard. They have lots of parts to keep working. When things don't work you sink. Lots of sinks leads to equipment failures and more things not working. That means less battling and less fun.

7. tkern85

tkern85 New Member

Thanks again Bob! One thing that keeps sticking in my mind when people say Bismarck is a big and hard ship to build or battle is, if im looking at the scharny, the Bismarck is only like 4" longer 1" wider and both run at 24 seconds. It's that really much of a difference? Or am I missing something else all together here? Just a curiosity I guess...
    How is the maneuverability difference when comparing the Scharny vs the Bismarck? Or does that mostly lie in prop/rudder configuration and skill of who's captaining the boat?
    Thanks again y'all,
    -Travis

8. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

It's the number of guns each gun makes the ship harder. I don't that I'd put Scharny on the top 10 rookie ships. But it's been done before.

9. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

My suggestion: Find the ship you really really love - and DONT BUILD IT.

Build your second choice ship and learn from it, then build the ship you love.

10. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Cruiser is my suggestion, easier to build (less guns) and will give you a better chance of getting on the water. Once built, DO NOT TOUCH IT. This will be your "fun boat" while you spend a year building the "ULTIMATE BOAT". When the ultimate boat is not working at the pond, you just grab your cruiser and have fun.

11. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I like Darren's suggestion, a lot.

I strongly advise following Lou's advice. I spent 6-8 years with many almost-ready-for-prime-time ships before doing what Lou suggests :)

12. tkern85

tkern85 New Member

Thanks guys! Lots of good stuff for my pondering process!

13. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

Some more options:
    A predrednaught like the Potempkin (RCENGR). Predrednaughts are class 3--forward and aft gun plus a pump. They are also small and often inexpensive.
    A Class 4 battleship with only fore and aft mounting gives you room to set up the assorted parts. I noted that cruisers get filled up with gear very quickly. The early Dreadnaughts (USS South Carolina or SMS Nassau) fall into the Class 4 category.
    MMJR

14. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

There is not a lot of room in the South Carolina or Nassau hulls either so you do have to be mindful of where you place things and how much you put in them.

15. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

Since I am a bit on the fumble finger side, this is why I am building a USS New York BB-34. I am not arming it fully since it will be my first boat but a Class 5.5 ship does give you room to put both the hands and parts in. It will be for and aft armed plus a pump and perhaps an Axis Bullseye but I have a preference for hit and run anyway. I may build another boat with the full armament in the future as I get a hang for this.
    Before New York, I am building a USS Michigan BB-27. I have the hull finished and it is ready for outfitting. BB-27 is a learning experience and I am choosing fore and aft gun only with one pump even though I can have a 3rd gun. Any errors can be corrected on the New York, which is a prettier hull than what I have on BB-27.
    Thanks for the advice.
    MMJR