First radio box need help

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Powder Monkey, Apr 17, 2008.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

another common thing to do up here is to take an otter box that is too tall, cut the bottom off, and either shorten it or bond it into the bottom of the hull.

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I do not use a waterproof box, makes the boat lighter, and frees up more room in the boat. I just seal everything with epoxy, and scotchcoat, and have had no problems yet. Snipe does the same thing.

3. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

This is true. Water is going to get to it one way or another so its easier to just waterproof everything individually and be done with it. That and if you really screw one up and its not waterproof you only lose one thing not everything in the box.

4. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

I've used a few Otter Boxes & never had any trouble other than the fact that they just don't seem to offer anything in the exact sizes I need! Always either too large or too small in some dimension. I drill & tap holes all over the place, to run power, ground, & signal through as well as firing valves (before I switched over to solenoid valves). It sure is handy to be able to pop the cover just by releasing 2 latches!

There's at least 1 nearly identical product called "Pelican Boxes". I've never used them, but they look like they ought to work just as well (haven't checked their sizes out...).

JM