Fixing Props

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Anvil_x, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Hey so I threw a blade in a sink last week, and was wondering if anybody had tips on how to attach a new one. I've got some K&S metals supplies on hand, so I'll be cutting a replacement blade out of that.

But my precise questions are:

if you've done this sort of repair, what sort of jig, if any, do you use to hold the blade in position while soldering?

Do you use a brazing compound or will regular solder do the trick? I'm pretty confident brazing will be the answer for this one.

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

I've not attempted that sort of repair as I don't think it's is really worth attempting that sort of repair but YMMV.

Unless you have a mini/jewlery torch or something similar I'd say soldering it would be the easiest because the temps are lower which means less risk or screwing up the other blades while you're trying to put the new one on. (of course that one blade would be held weaker than the others.) I'd think a jig is a must to get a good result, independent on what method you use. I assume the blades were brazed on to begin with? Do you know? If they were soldered I wouldn't even attempt it without a jig as you're very likely to screw it all up. I'd probably wrap the other blades in cold wet paper towels or something to try and prevent them from getting too hot and falling off/shifting position, I've done that many times with gun parts when I have to solder a joint close to another joint I dont want to screw up.

I dont think it's worth the effort/time but if it's already a trash prop and you screw it up trying you dont really lose anything. So give it a shot, report back, and post some pictures either way.

After replacing soldered/brazed props a few times cast props start to look cheap.

Anvil_x likes this.
  3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

soldered plenty myself. use proper flux, use silver solder, get it to the right temperature, hold all the blades so the others don't fall out in the process. I have also come to the conclusion that cast props are cheap compared to the hassle of dealing with chucked blades.

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

5. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

When I’ve put blades back together I have use clay to hold them in place. Just set the whole prop in clay. All the blades will heat and unsolder. It’s not too hard to get them back together once you done a couple. Don’t over heat them.

6. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys.

@SnipeHunter don't you have a shop for cast/printed props? you've presented quite the argument in favor of using them in future.

I'll try your clay trick @Bob . you'll get to see the results hopefully in a few weeks. Speaking of, I just shed another girlfriend, so more time for boats....

7. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

@Anvil_x Yup, however between Shapeways current pricing model and PropShop coming back I'm not sure if it's worth maintaining.

Aside from the initial cost savings I dont see any benefit from soldered props, and they've let me down in battle enough times to keep throwing money at them.

If you dont want to spend the money on cast props I'd probably give the 3D printed ABS (or other more "exotic" stuff) props that some of the guys are using a shot. You can easily customize them to your boat and having a box full of spares is very affordable.