Fleet Tugs of ww2

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by wfirebaugh, Nov 2, 2016.

1. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

I wanted To say Without WillCover posting the Hull line drawing picture This 3D model would much more off from its final shape and wanted to thank him for posting this picture it was the most used resource for this project start, I had also 3D'ed up the Bolster Tug as well.

Panzer likes this.
  2. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

you are very welcome...

Panzer and wfirebaugh like this.
  3. wfirebaugh

Dose this look close to your Ute, Shape wise look correct? I may add in Styrofoam in to the holes sand to the ribe shapes and Fiberglass my self up a ship. This just turned in to a ship build it seems...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I modeled up the Early ship design, the first few ships had a pointed stern of the ship while after say the 3rd ship built had a broad aft profile. I modeled up the two pointed, and broad aft aft sections in 3D.

Last edited: May 10, 2023
    Panzer, WillCover and Xanthar like this.
  4. wfirebaugh

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I will wait for tomorrow for the Elmer's Glue to dry so I can sand it down to the rib shape.

WillCover likes this.
  5. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

...no yours actually look like an ATF:laugh:

6. wfirebaugh

I will Post the plans a little later on, Do you have your Ute still? Could you show pictures of it?
    I was sanding the Styrofoam this morning, I couldn't wait to see the shape of the hull. I didn't have time to take pictures of the forty minutes of work revealed, I thought it looked like it was supposed to.

7. wfirebaugh

8. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

IMG_1493.jpeg
    I really should finish this little one sometime.

Panzer, Xanthar and wfirebaugh like this.
  9. wfirebaugh

What are the measurements of your ship? I used the Wikipedia page for my sizing, my ship is a hair under 17 inches long and like 3,1/8 inches wide and I think if I rember right near 1,1/4 inch draft probably could of desined it to a xtra 1/2 draft but it didn't cross my mind at the time I just did the math for 1/144 and decimal wise just rounded up to the nearest 1/8 of a inch.

10. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

13 7/8" x 3 1/2" It's a generic 'tugboat' hull that I got from Modelships Ahoy a couple years ago. I was initially going to make it into a little tramp steamer or fishing trawler when I ran across the Navaho class tugs and drew up the superstructure off a diagram of the BuShips Measure 32 camo drawing that I found online. It makes a reasonable facsimile.

11. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

IMG_1495.jpeg IMG_1496.jpeg
    it doesn’t look too bad with the little workboat superstructure. Put a trawler net crane setup on deck with the superstructure forward and you have something that’s at home off the coast pulling in fish. Or put a mast and boom crane with some deck hatches with the super to the rear for a little coastal steamer.

wfirebaugh likes this.
  12. wfirebaugh

I was wondering, I thought your ship looked a little shorter then what I had made, I just posted plans for a Bolster class salvage , and let me know if you want the plans I drew up for this ship. I know the cammo drawing you are talking about, I used that picture when I made up the Deck structures, however I found the aft building near the aft tripod mast a mystery tho in all of the pictures I had looked at...

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  13. wfirebaugh

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] getting ready to fiberglass.
    [​IMG]
    first layer of fiberglass cloth, a few issues but a good start.

Last edited: May 13, 2023
    notSoGnarly and Beaver like this.
  14. wfirebaugh

Don't be afraid to destroy your work... I used super glue for the paper and when I went to add the Styrofoam and finally the aluminum foil I used Elmer's glue so everything can come out with warm water.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beaver likes this.
  15. wfirebaugh

There are a few issues but it is workable, a little delamtion near the top edged and a little bumpy in places but I am confident I can make it right. I had only added two layers of fiber cloth so there is much more that can be added to make the hull the right thickness. This little man in the top of the picture is Sully he is one of the puppys from our little girls first litter, Such a cute calm layed back pup .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
    Panzer, notSoGnarly and Beaver like this.
  16. wfirebaugh

I feel that this fiberglass work is quite out of shape so I am going for a second go at it. I may try a mold/plug set up this time.