Fleets

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by HMCS, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

I see, Thanks for your efforts. I hope to see the ship first hand in the future.

2. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Here's a few updated pictures of HMS Abdiel. She didn't make it on the water today but she was finished up except for a few very minor things, she had another float test in the bathtub and her waterline needs to be moved down about 1/4". I'm happy with how she came together, I wish there was a more accurate hull available for the class though but for my first build it worked ok.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

As you can see I have to make an opening in the deck for the pump outlet as well as bundle and tie wrap the wiring to make it neater. The forward main mast is a little oversized as the deans mini-whip will be run up through it. Then it's just a little bit of fill for some areas of the superstructure(such as where the forward superstructure meets the deck)and a quick touch up of paint.

4. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Very nice work in deed Sir. What is the weight on the ship? I can't tell from the photoa, is that a wood or fiberglass hull?

5. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Very cool looking little ship.
    Well done.
    Mikey

6. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

The hull is fiberglass and is from BSY in Oz. The weight of the ship is 4.65lbs(max is 4.88). She uses a standard servo for the rudder, 2 micro servos for throttle and firing valve. The motors are 280's from BC, the pump is a micro one from BC, the battery pack is a NIHM 4600mah then in the bow is the Palmer Lite reg and 12g co2 adapter, the receiver battery is just a standard Futaba 700mah.

7. the frog

the frog Member

Get a speed control with bec and you can get rid of that receiver batt weight

8. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Yeah I looked into all the different options, but since weight is not an issue I'll just leave her as is for the time being.

9. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Yesterday saw HMS Abdiel go for a cruise. She performed well with no issues.Pictures to be posted soon. Today she is having her waterline lowered and hull repainted.

10. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Here's a few shots of HMS Abdiel on the water. The pictures aren't the best, but I was sailing with one hand and taking pictures with the other. The water was a bit choppy as you can tell by the picture with her nose buried.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

That is one nice looking little ship.
    Well done.
    Mikey

12. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

I have to add some detail now, when Bob P gets back from holidays he's supplying me with 3 Dual 4" gun shields from his mold. Don't want too much topweight so will probably skip the 20mm,launches etc...however I would like to add the Pom Pom on the aft superstructure as well as the mine handling crane/derrick on each side aft.

13. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Thanks Mikey
    I need to make more accurate funnels as well. I think it will help the looks. I got lazy and just used styrene, they should be rounder, and the 1st and 3rd should be smaller.

14. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

The pictures I just posted are in sequence(Bottom Page 2). I started off, little farther, hard to port,crash through the waves then bringing her closer to shore. I went about 15ft going through the chop and didn't notice my pump fire up,so brought it into shore thinking maybe I had a malfunction, but the deck seal held up.

15. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Nice looking ship Scott! Did you have time to check the speed per 100' course?

Bob

16. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Not yet, I was alone for the sail. Next time I will be bringing along my other half to time it. I'll bring some stakes and measure off a proper course. I had thought about doing a quick test,but it was quite choppy and seeing it was the first time on the water I had fun just driving around. It didn't seem to be overly fast,the 280's drove it along fine,and it didn't look like a speed boat.

17. Bob Pottle

I just talked to John Coffill, who confirmed he's joining the Treaty group but won't be active until his hectic summer work shedule is over. John has 4 ships - HMS Attacker (CVE), Shinano, a smaller Japanese carrier and the USS Washington. Washington and Attacker are battle ready but need to be converted to Treaty stats. John plans to convert the Washington first.

Bob

18. Bob Pottle

After contacting members here's the list of current and planned ships:

Jason Clark - Von der Tann is ready(for his dad), New jersey is progressing well.

Rob Clarke - hasn't confirmed if he'll convert the Konig but is planning to build a predreadnought (Radetsky) from his new mold.

John Coffill - USS Washington and HMS Attacker will be converted.

Ralph Coles - HMS Black Prince (DoE Class) needs speed trials. He may build USS Florida or one of his bigger hulls for 2009.

Tom Cromwell - Nagato, T2 Class tanker. The T2 isn't quite finished. Tom's here until the end of August but should be able to battle on the 24th.

Scott Foster - HMS Abdiel, running speed trials. USS Little Rock under construction.

Steve Hill - HMCS Ontario, awaiting conversion.

Bob Pottle - HMCS Prince Robert, HMS Minotaur, HMS Gorgon. All need to run speed trials, Minotaur needs more tweaking of pump output. For 2009 Minotaur will be replaced by Indefatigable, and convoy ship HMS Albatross will be built. HMS Furious and Nelson to follow.

BP