Flight of the Goebon

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by FirePowerDan, Oct 27, 2008.

1. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

I had brought up in one of the threads I was going to a gaming convention in Reno this weekend. One to get married and two to what else play games. I will post the 3 battles I am putting on Sunday dealing with the Goebon. The first will be the 4 Armoured cruiser. The 2nd 2 British Battle Cruisers. The 3rd all the above in one battle adding the Moltke and that extra British Battle cruiser. Some of you expressed interest. The gaming con is conquestreno.com

2. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Good talking with you this weekend Dan! :)

3. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

My phone line is open to you any time. Enjoyed talking to you also. Bachlor party went well. Fell asleep 3/4 of the way through. Next week marriage. Then the Flight of the Goebon. The man has delusions of God Hood. Just a little giddy Justin.

4. JustinScott

fell asleep or passed out? ;)

5. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Just fell asleep. The indignity of losing in a 6 player Risk game was to much for me.

6. JustinScott

7. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

OOPS!

8. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Goebon vs the 4 Armoured Cruisers. Turn 1-2 Goebon firing at lead vessel Duke of Edinburgh missed. Duke of E.,Defence,Warrior, Black Prince all out of range. Turn 2 Range is closing. Goebon misses the Duke of E. Duke of E.,Defence,Warrior. all fire at Goebon some hits but do not penetrate armour. Black Prince fires at Breselau misses with main guns. Breselau fires torpedoes. Turn 3 range is closing. Sides move. Before gunnery torpedo combat. Breselau's torpedoes target Black Prince. Guessed right on direction 50% chance of hitting. 2 hits. Black Prince is no more. Hull is ripped open and takes 2 turns to sink. Goebon fires again at Duke of E. Hits. Ship suffers 50% damage to guns an 50% to it's hull. Secondarys fire at Defence causing 25% damage to hull. Bresulau fires on Defence no effect. Duke of E.& Defence fire at Goebon. Boiler hit. Speed reduced 25% Warrior fires all guns at Breselau. This causes loss of 50% of flotation and 75% guns. Turn 5 range stays the same.Goebon shifts target to Defence. Loss of 25% of flotation & 25% of guns. Breselau fires at Warrior 12% damage to hull. Turn 6. Range closes again. Breslau is turned into a hulk by Warrior. DIW. Goebon takes another boiler hit reducing Goebons speed to 50%.Defence is hit again and is reduced to 50% of its guns and down to 25% of it's original speed. Turn 7 Range closing. Each side straddles the targets but no significant hits. Turn 8 Breslau sinks. Range is at point blank range. Goebon's T is crossed by Defence. Defence fires as does Duke of E and Warrior. Combined hits hit magazine blowing up the Goebon. Gobens fire does little damage to Warrior.

We figured it to be a .3% chance of blowing up Goebon. The British Admiralty would be proud. I am sorry for my errors and the way I wrote this.

9. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Nah, you did fine. I don't even play the game & I could follow along very well.

JM

10. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Sounds reasonable. Why did not Goeben just flee. He and Breslau were much faster than the RN ACR's.

11. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

The gentleman controlling the German side did not want to do that. People playing a game have a tendecy to forget about strategic issues,and just duke it out. It would not been much fun at this gaming convention to do so.

12. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Good point. I was wondering if the scenario conditions prevented it.

13. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

No the Captains can do what they want> Had I been controlling the German side I would have used the distance of the 11 inch guns. The range was 22,000 yards. The ACs would have closed the distance very slowly.
    By the way in the second battle on the third turn the Brisleau fired a spread of torpedoes and hit the Invincible with one. Guess what happend. RIGHT, KA-BOOM. No Invincible at Jutland. Something definetlay wrong with these ships today.

14. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Almost enough to make me get back into tabletop gaming again :) What rules set were you guys using?

15. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

An old set of rules that I had the pleasure of play testing. General QTRS 1 WW2 Rules. General QTRS 2 World War 1 and advanced WW2 rules. These were developed in the 70s. Since then GQ 4 and 5 have been released but with much more detail. You can get these rules from the Last Square in Madison Wisconsin. I like the old set because it moves faster. Fleet actions are possible. Last year at conquestsac.com I put on Jutland. Next year I plan to run Jutland at conquestreno.com. Each turn is 6 minutes. 3 dice are rolled. One ten sided for a straddle of shells. The chart gives range and penetration of armour. 2 other dice are also rolled. 1 six sided (blue) for hull hits and one 6 sided (red) for armament hits. I use range sticks for the straddle table. More details if you would like.

16. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I really miss tabletop gaming. :)

Many many years ago, our gaming club had a guy who specialized in land and naval combat. More land than naval, and even then he did modern naval instead of pre-1950s games. Unfortunately, I have no idea what rule set he used for the naval games. It was probably a British rule set though ... he really liked the British rules for most of his games.

For the land combat, he used the Challenger II rule set. Lots of fun!

17. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

I remember those rules. I use to play achients from the same people. For the life of me I can not remember the name.If I remember right those games were made by Table Top Games. My true gaming is naval. I play Napoleonic Naval,Ironclad Civil War,WW1 and WW2 naval. I go to 3 conventions a year. Great times.

18. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Shock of Impact. Those were the Anchient rules.