Florida

Discussion in 'Southeast Attack Squadron' started by HMTOlympic, Jun 14, 2012.

1. HMTOlympic

HMTOlympic Member

are there any groups near jaxsonville that are still active, all the one i find havent logged on in years. im just starting with this hobby and stiil await my first ship to go down the ways.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

There are guys near Orlando who are active.

3. HMTOlympic

HMTOlympic Member

i noticed those guys, until i can afford to buy a car i need something in walking distance or at least in range of jta buses

4. Tugboat

Hmmm... you got me there.

5. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Yeah this is kind of a hobby where transportation is needed. Maybe you can interest someone locally who does have the means to drive 2-3 hours for meetups and events?

6. HMTOlympic

HMTOlympic Member

that would work, just have to find some one with at least a big back seat to carpool with

7. Tugboat

If you build a predreadnought or a cruiser of some type, you don't need as much room as a cruise liner or battleship.

8. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I'd say Pre-dread, but I am biased. Any thing WW1 era* would be easy to transport. Washington Treaty era cruisers get long. Armored Cruisers are a personal favourite of mine and von Tugboats.

*Omitting of course Destroyers and Light Cruisers (save maybe the Elizabethans) as they are probably small enough to be tricky for a novice.

9. HMTOlympic

HMTOlympic Member

true but im a noob at this hobby and im trying to start simple, a well known liner that ive studied most of my life so i know the build details, small guns not centerline for an easy setup, and she has good speed to help me retreat til i can learn better accuracy.

10. Anachronus

I would recommend Tugboat's build thread for the French Edgar Quinet class armored Cruiser. The French archives have made the plans available free of charge and as a 2.5 unit, 26 second ship, she won't be the slowest thing on the water, while remaining fairly simple to outfit.

2 guns, .5 unit pump.
    *LINK* It starts off with the German Schliesen then moves to the Edgar Quinet. That and Richeleau's build thread on the Bearn that is stickied at the top of the Builds section should provide some good tips.

11. Tugboat

Honestly, she wouldn't get much speed allowed in battle. Maybe 26 seconds per 100', which is about the speed of an armored cruiser, lots of stuff is faster and turns better, so while you know the liner well, it would not make a good combat ship.

12. HMTOlympic

HMTOlympic Member

how well would a diagonal turrent ship do, one that still use the broadside cannons

13. Anachronus

Do you mean fiiring on the beam? MWC limits the number of sidemounts based on class size. Tug would have to enlighten you on that but generally they are limited in coverage and number allowed. None for anything below 4 units save for Predreads which can have 1.

AMC's like the Olympic you propose have only .5 units. Its a convoy ship so its slow 34/sec. Maybe a gunboat/monitor speed would be okay but that is still slow at 30 seconds per 100'.

14. HMTOlympic

HMTOlympic Member

is it allowed to make a custom ship, im thinking of using the great eastern and adding period turrets.

15. Anachronus

I don't know of any rules set that allows custom ships.

16. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

You need an intro into the hobby.
    http://www.mwci.org/mwcidvd.shtml

17. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

I think you better work the transportation angle first. :)
    Can't see someone bringing a boat, radio, bb's etc onto a bus.