FNG from North of Atlanta, GA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MotoPhoto, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Whatever safety glasses you use, make sure you can find the text "Z87+" written on there somewhere. Z87 is the ANSI standard for safety glasses, that is to stop a 1/4" ball bearing moving at 150 FPS without injury to the wearer. Z87+ means that the safety glasses have passed the test, and may even survive tougher tests. If the safety glasses do NOT have Z87 on there somewhere, they are NOT safety glasses and should not be used in combat, or in any other "safety glasses required" area.

My community college machine shop had to replace its entire collection of "safety glasses" because they were cheap chinese knock-offs that hadn't been tested.

2. MotoPhoto

MotoPhoto Member

"Z87 is the ANSI standard for safety glasses, that is to stop a 1/4" ball bearing moving at 150 FPS without injury to the wearer."

Thanks for the technical spec's, Kotori! I may have misused ANSI when stating my glasses were so rated and have just sent an email to the manufacturer to find out the details. All joking aside, I have a buddy in town who lost an eye as a kid due to an accident and I have no interest in joining him in that department.

I checked and my current glasses do seem to provide adequate side protection BUT I have no problem purchasing a new pair if I can't confirm these provide the proper rating. I just need to be sure to find a comfortable pair that will fit over my regular prescription glasses.

3. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Depth perception is so much more fun.

4. MotoPhoto

MotoPhoto Member

"Depth perception is so much more fun."

LOL! Well said.

BTW, for the benefit of any other newbies lurking out there, last week I ordered a DVD that comes highly recommended which is suppose to give a good overview of R/C ship combat. There's a thread about it here on the forum (somewhere) but here's a link to the WMC page on the video with ordering info:
    Visit this site

My video should arrive early next week so I can't speak from personal experience but I can't wait for it to arrive.

5. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Good job, that video was supposed to be very good, ive heard only good things about it.