Foam Hulls

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Buddy, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

I would like to know if any one has had luck fiberglassing ove rblue foam hulls and what was some of the problems they ran into and what they did to make things work.
    I am currently building a ww1 Kongo Bc out of blue foam, getting it shaped and have a little ways to go before doing the foam, plan on useing epoxy resin instead of Ply , it is usspousedly better and less smelly!
    Buddy

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

No reason why it should not work. Model airplanes have been successfully built using the fiberglass and lost foam method for years (decades). Some people use foam plugs to make molds for fiberglass hulls.

The key thing though is to make sure there is no foam in the hull after you are done. :)

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

A "how to" posting on this would be interesting. As in I am interested but haven't a clue. [:)]

4. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

fiberglass resin will eat through the blue foam....

Use something to coat it, like plaster of paris or maybe even mold release.

5. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Will the epoxy resin eat through? I plan on usein it instead of the the other becuase I was told it is better in keeping water out.What if you wax the foam or covered with siran wrap?
    Buddy

6. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Hmm ... there is a way we used to build airplanes using foam. First, we carved/sanded the plane body out of foam. Then we covered the entire foam shape with low temp iron on film. Next, we simply started laying on layers of cloth until we have a modest thickness built up. After that came the messy part; removing the foam. Gasoline works wonders on melting foam, but leaves one heck of a mess. After the foam is melted out and everything dried inside the body, the iron on film was pulled off the inside of the fiberglass. After all that, the rest is just sanding and finishing the outside.

It's doable for a one off hull. Perhaps it is a bit time consuming though compared to building a wood hull or buying a pre-made fiberglass hull.

7. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

buy some good quality epoxy laminating resin (west systems is quite good) it will not eat the foam. Polyesters will.

8. JustinScott

I bought this... (on your recommendation) Their instruction (that came in the packet) said to cover the mold with plaster (spackling)...

9. GregMcFadden

Make certain that you got the epoxy laminating resin. I have used it directly over the blue and pink foam with great results. (just don't put several inches of thickness on the mold or the accumulated heat might be enough to melt the foam)

10. JustinScott

Alright, alright... I'll try it. Seesh! Actually do what you say? ppfh!

11. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I have used it also on the pink and blue with no problems.

12. JustinScott

Here is the epoxy lam resin I got...

Visit this site

13. GregMcFadden

looks like a good choice.

14. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

I ordered my epoxy res from Fiberglasett. Along with 2.5 oz and 4 oz cloth. I have been working on the Kongo hull made out of the high dens blue ffoam from the local Lowes home depoe store. I shoul dhav esome pics soon. Thanks for all the help, i thought it might be faster then bulding a wood hull still might be ?

15. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hey I had another idea! I have yet to try it, what if you cut the foam out like you would for wood ribs ok, your spaceing is 3 inches between ribs you would cut 1 1/2 inch foam cutting 2 ribs out and then glueing them together to get the spaceing and do the next rib the same way. Would it not be easier to sand to shape quicker?

16. Anachronus

That's my plan once I figure out how to get a big sheet of the stuff home in my Mini.
    Or do they sell it in smaller sections? All the ones I have seen are huge!

17. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Yeah, I need some of the blue foam to make the super structure for my Belleau Wood and Salt Lake City, but can't find any sections that will fit in my Mustang *cry*

18. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

I don't understand, why don't you just cut it so it fits in your car??

19. Anachronus

I guess I could ask if they will cut it. I guess I could always just break it.[:D]

For the record, Mini's can actually carry a surprising volume. Its just the length and breadth that are the problems.

20. JustinScott

Bring a box cutter, you don't want to hit it with your hand. #1 I tried it & hurt my hand. #2 it will "break" in any other direction than the one you anticipated.