Foam Superstructure

Discussion in 'Construction' started by bear23462, Jun 26, 2012.

1. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

What is the best way to mount foam superstructure to the wood deck? I tried using hot glue, but that didn't work worth a darn.

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Depends on the foam, what kind of foam are you using? Also how permanently do you want it attached?

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Ken - Hot glue sucks for boatbuilding. It dissolves when in prolonged contact with water. Don't ask how I know.

4. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

The foam superstructure is for an Iowa class hull made by Strike Models. As far as permanenant attachment, what is the norm?

5. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I used hot glue way back. Worked fine in Minnesota but not so good in GA I the summer
    I use CA glue for the Strike foam.

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Yeah, CA gel or just regular ole CA :)

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I used gap filling ca on my Missouri and it works very well. I can yank on the supestructure and it won't come apart.

8. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

There are lots of choices, I like GOOP personally. As long as it doesn't damage the phone. Remember, Gorilla Glue works well on foam, but it expands. Don't know why the woman in the store recommended it to use with the foam I bought without telling me that. I ruined 16 sheets of foam. Lesson learned.
    I also used gelled contact cement on the foam, works very well too.
    J

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Pamjay I wouldn't use Gorilla glue on my phone, makes for a sticky conversation.

10. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    I use rubberized CA. It is slightly stronger than regular CA And stays slightly flexible so it can take a couple of impacts without cracking. Goop takes too long to dry and is prone to moving during cure.
    Ron Hunt

11. Jay Jennings

HA Curt, funny.
    I never said I could spell good.
    Ron, I always clamp whatever I am gluing, learned the hard way a long time ago about that.
    The GOOP takes 30 minutes or so and then it is solid, also it is flexible too.
    On of the things I really like is that you can apply lots in the places you need to and then peel off any that overflows, easier that CA IMHO.
    J

12. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    It can be a little difficult to clamp irregular shaped pieces of foam. Just sayin... Try building a jap ship. They never got the hang of using a t square like the British.
    Ron Hunt

13. Jay Jennings

I hear you there, I built a SS for ISE out of SIntra and it was a challenge to clamp for sure. I had to tape it and then clamp it.
    [​IMG]
    J

14. joe thomer

joe thomer Active Member

on the tirpitz, i expoxed the foam pieces togeather and also ran a brass rod thru them. this worked very well with a large stack up. also have a place for a flag on top to now

15. Ace_Austin

Ace_Austin Active Member

I was trying to make this its own thread but for whatever reason I can't type in the main box. Sorry if this comes as a threadjack... To keep myself sane and from fiddling with my Lex while the inboard shafts set in place I wanted to switch to working the deck/SS. I am attempting to use craft store foam with some kind of coating ( I tried thinned out BONDO that was painted on and it worked like a champ) But for just flat out ease of use I am trying Durhams Water Putty, sanded down and coated in a thin coat of resin to toughen up the foam. Anyone have any other ideas on what might be a winner along those lines?