Formation Control Autopilot

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by JohnmCA72, Dec 21, 2007.

1. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

2. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Definitely an interesting topic!

I also think you have a pretty good handle on what sort of things need to be done to achieve it. I'd like to add/expand on the following:

1) ID your own position relative to the designated flagship ("Guide" in naval terms; it may or may not be the actual flagship of the group; some specific maneuvers require that the Guide switch from 1 ship to another, so as to be in a certain position). To do this, each ship must be able to "know" a) which ship is the Guide, b) range & bearing to the guide, c) base course of the formation, & d) locations of all other ships in the formation (range & bearing to each). This pretty much requires that each ship have a unique ID (call sign) & constantly broadcast its ID in all directions, as well as receive the ID broadcasts of all other ships & determine range & bearing to them.

3) As noted, certain maneuvers require guide changes. Also, in combat, there's always the chance that the guide could be sunk or disabled (if I were the enemy, I'd try to sink the guide). I think that all ships need to receive all messages for the formation regardless of whether they're the guide or not, & ignore those that don't apply individually to themselves. Among the formation messages, that all ships need to pay attention to, is a "designate guide" message.

4) Also need to avoid colliding with other ships that are trying to execute THEIR moves as the formation changes. This is going to get pretty complicated, but would definitely be a fun challenge.

I'd also add:

5) Ability to add/delete ships to/from the formation. Ships joining the formation surrender their individual control to the fleet; ships leaving the formation return to self-control.

This could be some real fun for building & running convoys especially. Add autonomous navigation & fire control (including detection, discrimination, & engagement of targets in the mix), & we've got the makings of a whole new combat sport.

JM

3. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

It may not be necessary for each ship to organically "know" where each other ship is. If each ship knows where itself is, that information can be broadcast for the other ships to receive. That might simplify things some.

Of course, that also gives away your position to the enemy. They could use that information to target you. Maybe axis & allied each get a reserved navigation channel? If they want to encode their data, that's fine. If they want to try to intercept & decode the other side's data, well there's historical precedent for doing that, too!

JM