From Bottle to Balsa

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by Beaver, May 9, 2014.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

So I'm soon ready to order a Co2 tank and guns for my cruiser, and I'm sort of clueless as to what I need to get the gas to the guns.
    There has to be a toggle switch that will turn the Co2 off, right?
    Also, what kind of poppet do I need. Do I need an MAV-2 valve, or an MAV-3, one or two?
    This is for a 3 unit cruiser with two stern guns.
    Thanks,

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

From vague recollection, I think this drawing is correct - If you want to fire both from a single throw, and want to use poppets... This drawing using a single accumulator for two guns, you might instead find it more effective to use one for each.[​IMG]
    Otherwise, I would suggest that you use a firing board to trigger a pair of solenoids to fire your guns.
    If you opted for firing boards and solenoids. it would be co2 tank plumbed to Y fitting, from Y fitting one line to each solenoid, from each solenoid line to the guns. To the RX connect the firing board, to the firing board connect (usually) batteries and solenoids.

3. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

The bottle will come with a shut-off valve on the neck. Regulator screws onto the neck of the bottle to reduce the CO2 pressure down to spec (150#). From there, the gas goes to your "fire control", whether that is a poppet valve operated by a servo arm, or (more commonly nowadays) a solenoid operated valve (known commonly as a "Kip", even though there are other manufacturers) that is cycled by a firing circuit board that plugs directly into your radio receiver

To run a pair of stern guns, you could run just as I outlined, with the output of your "fire control" splitting and feeding both guns. Or alternatively, you could split the system upstream of the fire control, giving individual control of the two guns (useful if you have a 50-round & a 75, or split your guns bow/stern).

Upshot: Determine if your going w/ poppets or using the solenoid valves. You will need some 1/4" OD hose to run from the regulator to your kip / poppet. And 1/8" hose from the kip/poppet to the guns. I'm afraid I can't help you w/ the different poppet valves (MAV-2/ 3, etc) as I've always used the solenoid method.

4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

really recommend going with solenoids and a firing board. Will increase your total cost a little, but so much simpler.

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

When I read the title I thought it was going to be the story of someone who changed hobbies from drinking to battling :)

The drawing is correct. There are still people who run poppets (myself among them). If you're not into electronics, it's a good way to sink people. Or try to, if you're me ;)

6. Beaver

Thanks you so much for the drawing, Nick. :) Very helpful.
    I've been doing some research on Kips, and it looks like they are all 12v or 24v. I'm running this cruiser on 7.4 volts so I don't think they'll work. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In order for the poppet to be actuated through the MPA-3, it needs some sort of a push button on the pole, right? Will I need to get barbed fittings to put in the poppets and actuators?

Tug, HA HA!!! :) In a way, I'd like to go with poppets. I hate working with electronics, so the more mechanical it is, the more I like it. :)

7. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Go with solenoids dude. Call US Plastics up and ask them to special order you two Spartan 3827-070-FA81A 6V 2.4mm orifice NC valves for $19 each. Their number is 800-537-9724.
    [​IMG]

8. Beaver

I might be interested in those. Does the BC firing board work for those?

9. Tugboat

The MPA-3 is designed to screw directly onto a MAV-2 with no button.

10. Beaver

So I don't need to put a push button on the MAV2 to get it to work? But I will need hose barbs for the MPA3 in, and for the MAV2 out, right? Plus one barb for the MAV3.
    I'm thinking I'm going to go with poppets for now. It looks to be a little cheaper, plus it's something I know more about than solenoids. It should also be easier to troubleshoot than Kips. And since this is my first ship, I'm probably going to be doing lots of that. :)

11. Tugboat

Parts that will be good to get (with links!)
    1/8" barbs: http://www.clippard.com/part/11752-3-PKG At $5 for a pack of 10, get 2 packs and throw the extras in your parts bin.
    1/4" press-on hose clamps: http://www.clippard.com/part/5000-2-PKG $2.30/pack of 10. Get enough to put on every barb, plus spares.
    1/16" barbs: http://www.clippard.com/part/11752-2-PKG At $5 for a pack of 10, get 2 packs and throw the extras in your parts bin.
    1/8" press-on hose clamps: http://www.clippard.com/part/5000-4-PKG At $0.99 for a pack of 10, get 2 or 3! :)
    Small pushbutton for MAVs: http://www.clippard.com/part/11916-3 $1, get one for each MAV operated by a servo, plus a spare.

You know you need the MAV-3, plus 2 MAV-2's and the 2 MPA-3s. The push-on hose clamps (rings of brass, basically) do a lot to keep your hoses from blowing off of barbs at inopportune times and limiting pressure loss from small leaks.

12. SteveT44

Yes.

13. Beaver

Ok, Steve has convinced me to go with the Spartan solenoids. Now how hard is it to hook them up to be fired by a servo and micro switch?

Also, the Co2 bottle that BC sell, is it a pin valve or a on/off valve?
    EDIT: Sorry, I meant to say the 3.5 oz Co2 bottle.

14. Beaver

What kind of fittings do I need to attach a 1/8 ID hose to the Western regulator the Battler's Connection sells?

Thanks,

15. SteveT44

I think those regulators have a 1/4" NPT (national pipe thread) outlet port. Rick at Battlers Connection can tell you. As to the fitting, search on "standard barbed hose fittings" at McMaster.com. You'll be able to narrow your search by NPT size and tube ID to get to the right part. Sometimes your local hardware store will stock tube fittings.

[​IMG]

16. Tugboat

They also sell those connectors at Lowes and Home Despot. For just one, it might be cheaper to buy it there and save the shipping.

17. Beaver

I've contacted Rick. Got everything straightened out. Will be ordering guns soon. :D

18. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Guns are a very good thing to have for this hobby...unless you're British. Then, you just get potatoes.

19. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Ask us about our special French package. Reasonably priced, no guns to worry about, and several high-quality white flags.

20. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

+1