Funky Prop Question

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by SteveT44, Jan 20, 2015.

1. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Anybody know anything about this style prop?

[​IMG]

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

I believe that one of Tim F's homemade props, that sure looks like the underside of his boat.

3. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Looks like if it spins real fast it will make the boat go. Some what like other props but not with all the TYYNG TECH, that I hope we will see at a Battle.

4. SteveT44

It's Tim's VU. I was wondering if there's a performance advantage in a direct drive application?

5. SteveT44

Hey Carl. The plan is to have the Moggy AND a QE running by the summer.

6. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

I bought a Baden that had one of those 2-blade SS props. Advantage: slices through fishing line, etc. Disadvantage: After running through very shallow water I discovered that the sand polished a very nice edge onto the blades. Sliced my finger like a razor. And not a lot of "oomph". I switched to a 4-blade monster prop for acceleration.

7. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Excellent Steve, it will be a really good Nationals this year, nothing like breaking her in at Nats,
    Carl

8. SnipeHunter

Performance advantage vs what? Gears?

9. SteveT44

To my eye this style prop looks to be designed for higher RPM's which would be well suited in a direct drive application. I'm wondering if this style prop at high rpm would give equivalent thrust/performance as a lower rpm traditional prop like the BC or Strike props?

10. SnipeHunter

I'm not sure you can make that sort of direct comparison accurately without more information on the two propellers/drive trains in question or good test data. Low pitch props can have better efficiencies to high pitch props but it depends on the rest of your setup as much as the prop, you'll get that efficiency at a lower advance ratio which may or may not be acceptable to you. If you try to run too high an advance ratio on a low pitch prop you get past it's peak quickly and then the efficiency really falls off so you have a much smaller area to play with then if you use a prop with a larger pitch, the efficiency might be lower a a given advance ratio but you have a larger window to play with before the dropoff.