G3 1921 Battlecruisers

Discussion in 'Washington Treaty Combat' started by Bob Pottle, May 22, 2008.

1. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Mikey Deskin has a set of plans for these that he showed Bob and I this last weekend.

2. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

If the plans are good enough I might tackle the G3 hull plug this winter, making the mold in early April when the weather has warmed up enough for fiberglassing. The Vanguard hull plug and mold took about 6 months to complete - the G3 timeline would be similar.

Bob

3. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Bob,
    That G3 is a monster....

4. Bob Pottle

How many units do you think the G3 would have in Treaty? It would have had the same guns as the Nelson Class but much greater speed and displacement. Shouldn't rate any less than the Iowa Class IMO.

Bob

5. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Bob
    I am not sure about the standard displacement for the G-3, but it looks like it might be 46,600 tons.
    Now Conways lists them as battlecruisers, which would allow them 6 units.
    BUT...
    Pretty much all of my sources mentions that the British started labeling capital-ships as either battleships, or battlecruisers, based on speed.
    If we can dig up some more information that supports that theory, then we could look into listing her as a battleship, which would allow her 7 units.

She was armed and armored on a battleship scale..
    Mikey

6. Gettysburg114th

Bob,
    Did you get any G3 plans?
    Thanks,

7. Bob Pottle

Despite the battlecruiser label, British authorities such as Dr. Oscar Parkes described the G3s as fast battleships. They were easily equivalent to the Iowas.

The Nelson Class was a cut down version of the G3 after the Washington Treaty caused them to be scrapped. Same armor and armament but much lower speed. I don't see how the Class 6 Nelsons would be rated the same as the superior G3, which would have outclassed the 7 unit Vanguard.

Still waiting to receive the plans.

Bob

8. Sharky

Sharky Member

Yea the G-3 is huge :eek:)

Jeff

9. Bob Pottle

The G3 plans from Mikey arrived today. Unfortunately the side and top views are less detailed than two other sets of illustrations I have from reference books, and the hull sections are drawn freehand and would not give smoothly flowing hull lines. I'm afraid the hull plug would have some bumps. The texts have no cross section drawings.

I've just reviewed all the info I have on the G3 Class and the question remains as to whether they had external bulges like Hood, from which the hull design evolved, or internal bulges like the Nelson Class which was a greatly modified version of the G3.

It is documented that the armour design for the Nelson and Rodney was a new concept tested in a mock up and was likely different than the G3's. The G3s are described as having a sloping armour belt like Hood's, supplemented by bulges, not an internal sloping belt and internal bulges like the Nelsons.

Then there's that beautiful model of the G3 in the UK that has sloping sides above the waterline like Hood but vertical hull sides like Nelson below it and no external bulges.

I'm afraid this can't be figured out unless I order the offical plans from the Greenwich naval museum, which are usually horrendously expensive due extremely high archival (labour) and shipping costs (well in excess of $100).

If I have to go that route and then spend at least 100 hours building an accurate hull plug and mold, it won't be worthwhile unless I know I can sell half a dozen hulls. I haven't sold a single HMS Vanguard hull so selling enough of the much larger G3 hulls seems quite unlikely.

Bob

Bob

10. crzyhawk

I have to agree with you Bob. With them not being legal in the fast gun clubs, the potential customer base would be limited to treaty and big gun. I'd imagine that's the deal with your Vanguard; you ran afoul of a design which isn't "popular". I'd imagine if you'd have made NC hulls, they'd have sold like hotcakes.

11. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Yes but that Vanguard hull is one of the best I have seen to date, it is well made and super accurate. I maybe bias because I own one but I lso own or have seen alot of swampy and BC hull and I perfer the Vanguard to most.

12. Gettysburg114th

I gree there Chris, that is a very nice hull.

13. Bob Pottle

Thanks Guys,
    I think Vanguard's my best hull to date. Though I didn't sell any hulls four were made, counting mine. I loaned the mold to Steve Hill who made one for himself and another for Curt, which I think is the one Chris has now. I also loaned the mold to Ralph when I was too busy to make hulls and he sold one.

If I can sell several of my unused hulls and completed models (I have no need for 2 battleships, 2 battlecruisers, 2 armored cruisers, 2 heavy cruisers, 1 light cruiser, 2 monitors and 2 gunboats!) I'll have room and use for a G3. I may go ahead and order the plans even if it's unlikely many hulls would be sold - the G3 would be an interesting model to build and battle.

Bob

14. Chris Easterbrook

What hulls do you have sitting around Bob. I know of someone who is looking for a British heavy cruiser hull.

15. crzyhawk

I think Vanguard has the potential to be a very very nasty ship in Treaty. I like the 4 main turrets arrangement.

16. Bob Pottle

Chris,
    I have only one Kent Class hull. The molds were sold to Tugboat so if Rob still wants it you can order one from TB. I'll ask Rob Sunday.

If an almost identical British heavy cruiser will do Steve Hill finished my plug for the nonbulged London and Dorsetshire subclasses of the Counties and has at least one hull for sale.

Bob

17. Chris Easterbrook

I will contact the gentleman in question and see what he is looking for.

18. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Chris I do have HMS Dreadnought available.

19. Gettysburg114th

BB26,
    Do you have any pictures of the Dreadnought?

20. Chris Easterbrook

I will mention it to him.