Gday from New Zealand

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mad tinkerer, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Mad tinkerer

Mad tinkerer New Member

Hi all, been building rc ships for about 15years now. Just lately been having a bit of a holiday from the ships building rc combat tanks in 1/6 scale, gotta hate the kids, and have got the ship building bug again. But this time I want to do something different so I thought I would do a combat ship. Have made the Chicago, Nevada as rebuilt, and the Missouri, all in 1/144 scale.

froggyfrenchman likes this.
  2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Hey there!
    We don't get many NZ folk, are you thinking BigGun? Is there an active group in NZ or will you be launching your own?

3. Mad tinkerer

Mad tinkerer New Member

Gday Nick, haven't heard of any clubs in NZ and after what I have learnt it's no wonder. Had a few guys interested and so I went on the hunt for a bit of water to use and ran into the beaurocrasy. No land owners wanted a bar of the idea, and when I went to the local council you would have thought I asked him for his first born child. In short the answer was "NO!!! Ironically NO!! How dare you even THINK of shooting BBs in any of the lakes and rivers around here. And then there was the matter of insurance. When I asked if that was for onlookers he said" No, it was to cover the participants in the battle in case our boats sank. When I told him that was the whole idea behind the venture he then went on about possible pollution from batteries and oil leaking out of the boats. I hate to say it but I think I will just go with scale boats and forget about arming them.

4. kevmorau

kevmorau Member

Hi Tinkerer.

If the land of the long white cloud is as bad as Oz there are a few ways around it.

Where in NZ are you? There was a club not far from Auckland in the late 90's early 2000's.

Do you have a Sporting Shooters Association or equivalent over there? Thats how we got around a lot of the b/s over here.
    Have a look at www.ausbg.org for model rules etc. I'll try and find out who/where the earlier group was and let you know.

One thing I do remember from kicking off here is that we had to get the Police on side.You will probably find that you can only use ball bearings (3/16, 7/32, 1/4) as BB's are classed as rifle ammo in this part of the world, which means you will have to have a shooters license to buy it.

Regards,
    Kevan Morgan
    SBS AUSBG

5. Mad tinkerer

Mad tinkerer New Member

Hey kev I am down in taranaki, I have a few guys down here pretty keen to get a club going down here. It's not the fact so much we want to shoot bbs it's the fact that the council will not allow us to use any water way or lake that the public have access to. So they have changed the story already. Not that it matters cause we are going to start building our ships soon. We think we have a privately owned bit of water on a cockies farm. So fingers crossed

6. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Sounds like what we run across in my local area. We have even gone to .177 steel ball bearings so that we are not contaminating the pristine Salmon habitat with copper or zinc coated BB's.