German Battleship Gneisenau - IRCWCC Rules

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by absolutek, Jun 23, 2010.

1. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

DKM-Gneisenau-012.jpg [​IMG]
    Finally got the subdeck/deck assembly epoxied into the hull, and coated with a layer of epoxy (west system). Drive shaft/gb also secured into the hull. I kind of butchered the keel where the centre shaft exits the hull so I will have to build that area up again. Then check the waterline one last time before I cut out the windows.
    --Chase
    PS. If you're wondering what the delay in progress was, I finished the total refurb on a VDT I acquired earlier.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Good work!

3. absolutek

DKM-Gneisenau-013.jpg
    Arise dead thread ARISE!!!
    So I got motivated today and finished cutting out all the windows on my Gneisenau:
    [​IMG]

4. gunsnrosesx

gunsnrosesx Member

looks great what are you going to use for the superstructure?

5. absolutek

Probably some combination of basswood, aircraft ply, balsa, and/or polystyrene plastic. Basicly, whatever I have lying around (for the most part).

6. absolutek

DKM-Gneisenau-014.jpg
    Started on the superstructure. Made of a combination wood and some sort of plastic (probably abs).
    [​IMG]

DKM-Gneisenau-015.jpg
    The ship's brushless outrunner (500kv) installed on a BC gearbox (~2:1 ratio). Will be powered by a 12.8v LiFePo4 battery.
    [​IMG]

7. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Looking good. which motor is that?

_Greg

8. absolutek

9. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Good choice on the motor. 500kv geared 2:1 on 12v should get the ship very close to target speed. :)

10. Quintanius

Quintanius Member

Looks very cool. Those Fiberglass Hulls look very neat indeed. But building hulls out of wood is what got me interested in this hobby so I'll stick with making them from scratch. But I can clearly see the benefit of these fiberglass things - how does one get the balsa in there? Edge glue it with superglue or epoxy? Just interested in case some of my buddies might want to go that route. Once again, thanks for sharing - looks great!

Thomas

11. absolutek

We just slap a sheet of balsa on the side with either contact cement or CA (there are other adhesives that people use also).

12. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

How about some inspiration for your construction? :)
    [​IMG]

13. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Wow, Iunnrais, just wow.

14. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Excellent!!!

15. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

I can't take credit for the prettyness. It was a scratch build by a buddy of mine back for the 2005 MWC Nats when I was driving my old Bismarck. He's since left the hobby and I picked it up from him this year and have been working on refitting & blowing out 7 years of dust. Hoping to drive it at the battle down here in Houston this coming weekend. Still have a good bit of internal work to do to make that happen. It was too nice to be sitting on a shelf in a garage.

16. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Gneisenaus ...

Finally started work this weekend on refitting a used Sharnhorst I picked up last Spring. It is getting a new repositioned stuffing tube so I can stick a 2" prop under the stern, a new subdeck, waterchanneling, and a complete brushless conversion. Oh, not to mention LiFE batteries and set of three S&M cannons.

Why only three cannons? The ship is being outfitted for Treaty combat which allows splitting of 1 unit cannons into two half unit cannons which will then be added to two bow sidemounts for 75 round cannons. The ship will have a 75 round haymaker, a 75 round starboard sidemount, and a 75 round port sidemount. As a 5.5 unit ship in Treaty, that will leave 1 unit for a battleship pump.

Eventually though, I would love to have it look as nice as the ship above. What a gorgeous model that is!