German Plans

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by Anachronus, May 26, 2010.

1. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

2. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Too bad that the plans are not in 144 scale.

3. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

I purchased the plans for Scharnhorst from Strike models. They are excellent! There is both German and English on the plans and they are 1/144 scale.
    J

4. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

A little copier-fu and viola. Still it is easier to find them in the proper scale right off the bat.

5. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

I have a copy of the plans for the Bismarck class from Blohm & Voss. They are really expensive though. I had a friend in germany get me a copy and send them to me.

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Spendy!!!

7. Knight4hire

WOW Chris.

That sounds like going over the top! A lot more detail than is neccessary for this sport.

Are you looking at building a museum quality ship model?

8. Knight4hire

I am interested in how much difference it would show in just the hull lines.

9. Chris Easterbrook

Yeah they are really detailed you could build an exact replica from the plans. I just wanted a set of accurate plans and my friend said he could get me a set of the original plans, so I jumped at it. Looking back I will not be doing that again the cost was just not worth it. Not for a hobby.

10. Knight4hire

A few more questions Chris:

What scale are they?
    Would you be willing to make a copy of the hull lines and ribs?

11. Chris Easterbrook

I cant make copies as there is no copy machine big enough where I live.I tried to get other plans done here and had to go to another city. I never rescaled them to 144 as I never used them for anything but a good look at the superstructure. They fit on a 6 foot table barely both in length and width. To do all the hull lines and ribs is about 4 pages if I remeber correctly. I will have to break out the tube to find out the exact scale. I did compare these plans to my old ralph coles hull and his hull is very close. There are couple of areas that were not quite exact but its really close. The bow was off slightly but I think that was due to making the bow stand up to abuse. The lack of a true keel always throws off the accuacy of a hull.

Lutgens likes this.
  12. JRC123

JRC123 Member

Which set did you order from them? They have one fo $15 from Gorge Goff and a 3 sheet set for $21 from other. I did not know which one to order. I really need the hull ribs. Any suggestions?

13. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and avoid Goff plans. They have caused me some serious frustration through asymmetry. If used attentively they are workable but generally not near as good as others.

14. JRC123

JRC123 Member

Thank you. I have now ordered the other set. I appreciate your input. How difficult is it to cut out the rib hulls. I am watching a thread from mike5334 about building and it seems really interesting.

15. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Cutting out ribs is as difficult as the tool you are using. Many use a scroll saw or smallish band saw

16. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

Use an Oscillating multi saw, after drilling out the corners and it makes quick work of it. add a shop vac and fan to the mix so you dont get it all over you. look at Kevin Plumbers threads and duplicate.

17. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

A Dremel with a fiberglass cut off wheel is what I use. I also like to have a vacuum taking most of the dust from the cut.

18. Lutgens

Lutgens New Member

Hi Chris,

Im interested in where you exactly got these from did you contact Blohm & Voss media? Im interested in building one a 1/100 scale in Brass

Richard