Give me Liberty or give me ...Victory?

Discussion in 'General' started by JustinScott, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

When I first joined this hobby I started looking for both Free Lib and Vic plans. today, I have come up empty handed!
    I have found numerous profiles and over head sketches, but that has been it. No ribs! UGH!!!
    Now I did start to take the HMS Lusitania rib plan and scale it to a Vic.
    But then some folks came to my rescue and gave me a MOG, Lib hull to finish! (Yes, I am using the term rescue very liberally!)

2. Knight4hire

The SS Robert E. Peary lasted through 21 years of service before being scrapped!
    I would bet that she was still sea worthy when she went to the scrapper as well.
    Just got to keep in mind that during the War, The American work force had set higher standards for themselves. They had pride in what they were building. They were not about to let our military go to war with substandard equipment. They were on a mission to beat back the Hun and give some payback to Japan for Pearl Harbor.

3. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Justin,

You probably do not want to mold the whole super out of termite armor (one of the urethane rubbers from Visit this site). It is far to dense/heavy for solid superstructures. However, molding a thin layer of Termite armor skin (or Smooth-on's Dragon Skin might work nicely), then filling the rest with a low density Flex-foam might work very nicely. Flex-Foam (another Smooth-on product) by itself works nicely, though it takes care to get a smooth surface. If you don't mind a rough texture, it is easy.

Smooth-on has the RTV silicone, too. And rigid urethanes for casting. Lots of good products.

Cheers,

4. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Thanks!

5. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

If you're still looking for Victory ship plans, you could try these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Plans-for-AMERICAN-SCOUT-C-2-Cargo-Ship_W0QQitemZ110331184897QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Vehicles?hash=item110331184897&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A3%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A2%7C240%3A1318

The C2 cargo hull should be the Victory ship hull. These plans are from the old Sterling American Scout wooden model that's been out of production for years...

Carl

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

He's got Victory ship plans, he wants Liberty :)

7. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Juastin,

Did the information I sent you off-line help until you can get plans from Goff or some other source? I would wonder if the O'Brien musuem or one of the other naval museums would have the original builder's plans copies like some of the museums in Texas have the ones of the USS Texas?

Cheers,

8. JustinScott

Wreno, I thought I sent you a thank you.... huh.. oh well... THANKS!!

What you sent is 'close enough' to what I'm looking for that I'm not going to bother buying a liberty plan set. I will post the new solid works drawing in the next couple days.

9. Knight4hire

By the way, I did 'Arm' my Liberty. (As if that is going to scare off any warships! Ha Ha Ha)
    If you look at some of my previous posts, (I posted photos of her) you will see that some of the guys are claiming that the barrel is too high.
    I do believe that the gun I use is a standard one that BC sells, with the coil magazine. The space in the stern is very tight! The coil magazine and the prop shaft intertwine.
    One thing nice about having an unarmed Lib or Vic around the pond, is that the transmitter can always be handed to a by-stander child and have the parent supervise.

Right now I am happy with my Lib. But I can see myself launching a Vic down the road.

10. JustinScott

Thanks to Wreno, this version is looking much more Liberty-ish.

[​IMG]

Not done... but thought I'd update.

11. JustinScott

I'd say the Victory was a finer looking ship. Her SS just looks more stateful.

12. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

It's probably going to be quite a few months before I'll be on the west coast again but perhaps somebody in the WWCC might have a reason to visit the O'Brien and poke around for some plans that they might have to offer?

13. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

I will try to see what somebody can do for you. Ever look at Taubmans? There are some in there that might fit what you need. Those four little tramp steamers came from a company from England MAP. Glenn Gust mad a lot of quick plans in 1/144th scale. There was one of a CAM Transport vessel. I think I recall a plan on a Liberty vessel. I will check the cataloge later.

14. JustinScott

Does something look wrong with the SS so far? It's not done yet... but does it look wrong?

15. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Oops. My bad!

I've collected several Liberty ship plans. I've got some from the Floating Drydock that are pretty good. But the best ones I have I got from an ebay seller named 'davesdrydock' who runs the Ebay store 'PLANS N THINGS'. He has a set of original builders prints for an aircraft transport version of the Liberty Ship that are just fantastic, with original hull stations!

I also have taken well over 100 (maybe over 200 -- I haven't counted) pictures of the Jeremiah O'Brien, the still operational Liberty ship in San Francisco. Send me a PM and we could make arrangements for me to send you a CD or DVD with these pictures on it -- if you're interested, that is...

Carl

16. Knight4hire

I do have some nice shots of a Lib superstructure.
    I shall try to post one....

17. Knight4hire

18. Knight4hire

True this is the un-armed civilian version.

19. JustinScott

See I'm not that far off for a first start. Obviously more details need to be added.

20. MotoPhoto

MotoPhoto Member

I'm keeping an eye on this thread. For a number of reasons I'd like to add a Liberty ship to my (as of now empty) fleet. I'd like to set her up as a target/practice ship as well as a relatively inexpensive "toy" to lure some friends into the hobby.