Giving up

Discussion in 'Midwest Naval Combat Club' started by dietzer, Aug 17, 2023.

1. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Been a very long time since I’ve logged in here and posted anything. Over the last few years I kept hoping I’d have time to get back into this hobby, but to no avail. So I’m conceding defeat.

I will be selling and/or giving away my RC Combat stuff, including my large collection of ship plans and books, 1/96 and 1/144 hulls or kits, cannons I had bought from glaizilla, radios, servos, speed controllers, and other building materials. I’d like to give the fine folks here at the Midwest Naval Combat Club first crack at this stuff before I open it for sale to others. BTW, I consider Tugboat and Gettysburg114 both honorary members of the MNCC, so you are both included in this initial sale/give away. I don’t know if Tugboat is still active, but I see that Gettysburg114 is.

I’m not sure if the best way to do this, though. Should I just start posting stuff here, or do you guys still have the club email going? If so, could someone send me the club email again? I lost it quite a while ago. Also, are you still battling? I could arrange to bring stuff to the next battle…

But first and foremost, I’m looking for a new home for Mikey’s old 1/96 Strasbourg. This is not for sale: she was gifted to me, so I’ll will be gifting her on to someone else. She needs resheeted, and she has some minor SS damage inflicted from my last move. I was in the process of rearming her with 1/4” barrels and converting her to 24V. The old 7/32” barrels have been removed but the 1/4” barrels have not been installed yet. I will include both sets of barrels. Is anyone interested in taking over as captain for this seasoned veteran?

Rcengr: I have a special book to pass onto you that was gifted to me by Arthur Buckland, one of the original two Kiwi Battlestations! members.

I will post with more details soon.

Many thanks,

Carl

notSoGnarly likes this.
  2. notSoGnarly

notSoGnarly Well-Known Member

Hey Carl we have not had the pleasure of meeting in person.
    But I got into the hobby down in South GA with tugboat and the SAS gang.
    I'll text him and tell him to reach out to you.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I am still active! I had a battle for time as well, I totally get it. I am interested in helping hulls and such get to good homes, and as it is highly likely that Nats will be here in Statesboro next year, people wanting to have stuff live in my shop for local pickup next summer is possible.

Brian Koehler can probably hook you up with the club email list. They went to some yahoo group thing and I get verbal updates from Brian at build sessions.

I would suggest posting a list here of what you have to re-home, and how much you would like for them.

It goes without saying that should life bring you back, I will be delighted to help you get back on the water

Tugboat

Evan Fowler and notSoGnarly like this.
  4. dietzer

Good to hear from ya, Tugboat! I remember the yahoo group mailing list, but I think that was shutdown quite a while ago…

5. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

The old Yahoo group was shut down, we have Discord channel now that we use. You know I'm interested in books and plans, so let me know when you have a list.

6. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

carl,
    I’m going to miss you,. What hulls do you have, I’m looking for something small for my mom to run,.
    Nikki

7. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

Carl,
    I know what that feels like. I’d be willing to purchase some stuff back if it helps. Either way hope you are well.

8. dietzer

Other than Strasbourg, I have the following hulls:

1/96 Rcengr hulls:
    - Takao, decks, impenetrable area, stuffing tubes and shafts installed, no SS, with plans - $150 OBO plus shipping
    - Baltimore, stick frame assembled, no SS, with plans - $100 OBO plus shipping
    - Capitani Romani, stick frame assembled and decks installed, no SS but includes 3D printed parts package, with plans - $150 OBO plus shipping

1/96 Shimakaze fiberglass hull by Arthur Buckland, props, motors and drive train, rudder, rudder servo box, and decking installed, no SS, ready to sheet, with plans - $125 OBO plus shipping

1/144 hulls and hull kits:
    - Henry IV, Rcengr hull, stick frame assembled, deck installed, SS started but incomplete, wood and 3D printed SS parts, funnels, turret covers, life boats included - $100 OBO plus shipping
    - SMS Deutschland kit by GregMcFadden and NickMeyers, unassembled in original box (box is still unopened) - $225 OBO plus shipping

I might hold on to the Capitani Romani and Deutschland in case I change my mind about quitting. I’m on the fence with those two. But my back definitely says I should sell Takao and Baltimore, and give away Strasbourg.

Even in 1/96, Shimakaze is a tough build due to weight constraints, which is why I never finished her. I wanted her to have torps and turrets, but that’s a lot of weight…

Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
    notSoGnarly likes this.
  9. dietzer

Thanks!

I’ve had some health issues the last few years, which in part caused me to be inactive for so long, but am doing better now. My health issues are not gone, but they are now manageable, at least most of the time.

10. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I'll definitely take the Shimakaze. I've been running a 144 Shimakaze for the last two years and it has been a blast. In 96 scale I think I would just arm the torps, adding the guns would be a bit much.

The 96 scale Baltimore and Takao are pretty big so finding a home may be hard. It might help that there is now 3D printable superstructure files available for both. They will just need to download them from the resource section and scale them to 150% when printing.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
  11. Tugboat

I have my 1/96 Baltimore hanging from the rafters in my shop and it dwarfs everything. I would be afraid of what shipping would cost on the assembled model.

Brian Koehler would like to obtain the 1/144 Henri IV, that he and I could have ours duel

Xanthar likes this.
  12. dietzer

I updated my hull list post with additional details and pricing.

13. dietzer

Yeah, shipping for Takao and Baltimore will more likely mean gas money for me to deliver to Dayton, etc.

I’m willing to meet folks in Southern Michigan, Indiana, or Western Ohio. Say roughly anywhere 3-4 hours from Fort Wayne. But I won’t go any closer to Chicago than Valparaiso, sorry.

14. dietzer

Sounds good, just have Brian contact me.

Tugboat likes this.
  15. dietzer

When are the Dayton captains getting together next? I can bring a lot of stuff to that and let folks look at it first hand.

I’m working on my plans list and book list. Lists for parts and building materials will take longer.

16. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

That laser-cut Deutschland is worth its weight in gold. Check my thumbnail if you have any doubts. Or the... Wow, HOW many videos do I have of it in action? Anyway, it's a very fun boat that is easy to arm with 3d-printed cannons.

notSoGnarly likes this.
  17. dietzer

That was always my dilemma, guns or torps? I wanted both, but knew it wasn’t feasible. But I’d keep going back and forth on guns vs torps…

I’ve set Shimakaze aside for you.

Tugboat likes this.
  18. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Don't give up the ship!!!!!

Tugboat likes this.
  19. Tugboat

He's coming over tomorrow, I'll let him know. Thanks!

20. TorpCruiser

TorpCruiser Active Member

Since the Shimakaze has been spoken for, any pics of the Takao? Thx