Good CAD program to start with??

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by Ironbeard, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Ironbeard

Ironbeard Active Member

I primarily run my computer in Ubuntu, but can switch over to MS if need be and would like to start scanning in and work in building hull lines and such but don't know where to start. I'm looking for something to help me scale hull lines, superstructures and systems. Ideas...suggestions...whatever.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  2. ish311

ish311 Active Member

sketchup is a pain to make hull skins. still havn't found a good script to get it done yet.

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

sketchup is ok, if you've never used proper CAD before. But it is NOT a true parametric 3d modeling program. I am starting to learn FreeCAD. Not sure if it works in Ubuntu or not. For doing hull lines, etc, I would strongly recommend Delftship. It's a surface modeler not a solids modeler, but it is specifically designed for working with ship hulls, sections, lines, etc. Both FreeCAD and Delftship are available for free online.

4. Ironbeard

Ironbeard Active Member

What CAD program are most of the folks here using?

5. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

I prefer Pro/E.

DelftShip is pretty good for surfacing hulls but most stuff needs solid geometry and it isn't so good for that in my experiences.

If I had to pick a free one i'd probably try FreeCAD first. If AutoDesk is still giving away AutoCAD Inventor Fusion that would probably be worth a shot too.

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Sadly it looks like AutoDesk is NOT still giving it away :(

7. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Besides cost, any opinions on this printer
    Flash forge 3d printer creator pro

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  8. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

*ahem* yes, and use that link to buy it... you'll pay for a month or two of hosting *cough*

Sorry, I don't actually know much about that particular printer

9. Lou

Nick, thoughts on a sub-set forum just for CAD and printer questions? Keeping all the data together...

10. NickMyers

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  11. Lou

I know of three in my region, looking myself to join their ranks. I am thinking that this very specific topic is just getting lost in a couple of threads

12. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

I would love a 3d printer but sadly I would have to pitch it to the CFO and she isn't buying it.

But I would like to partner with a individual and send files to reproduce in ABS, Pay to Play should provide some monetary reward to offset the costs.

Mostly one-offs that I would cast in resin.

So anybody interested in defraying some costs?

13. NickMyers

An important question if you want to go that route is how picky are you about model quality straight off the bed vs doing some finishing work?

14. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

I had also thought a 3d printer area would be good... but it seems there is only 1 active forum member that I am aware of that is also 3d printer active as well. It may still be useful for the discussion of 3d printing, there is certainly a lot of interest in it....

15. Tugboat

I would talk, but everyone knows me and is sick of hearing me extoll their virtues :) In other 3D printer news, the firmware programming of my Rostock is not going well, and the parts are being repurposed into a different printer: a Prusa i3 Rework. Very similar to my old Mendel, but with several key improvements (among them a bigger print area and a better hot end).

The i3 Rework build thread will be documented for your enjoyment. Wood cutting will be starting tomorrow as epoxy sets on Invincible parts :)

Lou and NickMyers like this.
  16. Cannonman

Please do, my poor little head is swimming in all the information I have been gathering as I begin to move forward with attempting to make mine functional, and would like to see someone making some progress. :D

17. NickMyers

What do you have? Were you the person i vaguely remember having a fancy non functional expensive if it worked printer?

18. Cannonman

That is probably me :). I acquired a Stratasys printer with the control boards/ extruders/ hot ends stripped from it, and am attempting to retrofit it with reprap electronics while keeping most of the features and hardware. The new control board just arrived..... I may have bitten off more than I really want to chew.... :bang:

19. Tugboat

Send it over :) I'll give it a good home :)

For a taste of what's coming... a 2D render of my i3 Rework variant. Kind of the Maker version of the Temple at Luxor...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  20. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

I only know AutoCAD (which is still very useful if your recreating from a picture) ... Inventor and SolidWorks ... the engineering places around here use SolidWorks so they taught us both Inventor and SolidWorks for my course. SolidWorks can be extremely powerful and insanely frustrating at the same time. Inventor is more intuative once you get past the basics. AutoCAD can still be used for 3d if that's all you can get your hands on, but it's a damn steep learning curve and it's very NOT new user friendly.

I was lucky enough as part of being a student I have the Autodesk student 'thingy' for 3 years ... so I have AutoCAD and Inventor here at home. If you don't mind fibbing you could probably get a student 3 year license for Autodesk. The "issue" with it becomes File sharing ... everything created in the student versions are marked.