Good fast guns weekend

Discussion in 'General' started by Tugboat, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Region 3 MWCI had a great weekend of battling. A slightly small turnout, we had 9 boats on the water (4 absolutely new ships)

HMS Vanguard (vet) Brian Koehler
    HMS Invincible (vet) Clark the Tugboat
    USS North Carolina x 3 (all new ones except Charley Stevens' holy terror the North Killerina) Don Coles, Frank Falango
    IJN Yamato (new) Marc Morin
    USS Missouri (new) Heidi (Marc's fiancee)
    HMS Rodney (new) Heidi's Dad
    DKM Scharnhorst (vet) Rick King
    USS Gearing (being driven by an aggressive 8 yr old, fun but not really a factor in the combat. As long as HE had fun, it's all good :)

On Saturday, Frank Falango's new NC got sank from the combined gunfire of Charley Stevens, Brian Koehler, and me with Invincible. prior to sinking, Frank's triple sterns blew my mascot, Sgt F.U., from his post on the foc'sl. Despite extensive searches after the battle, Sgt FU was declared lost at sea and awarded the Victoria Cross for maintaining his station under heavy enemy fire. The other ships danced, and the very fetching-looking HMS Rodney was, alas sank by Charley and Marc (Yamato). Missouri played briefly, but had radio issues and was pulled early. Frank's NC was lacking superstructure and was therefore labelled the Lexington. My generous offer of a squadron of cast Wildcats was turned down. He did give me an earful about the need for some Kingfisher scout planes :) Later in the day, the Rodney suffered some radio trouble and so avoided another washdown.

Sunday's battle was a free-for-all. Invincible suffered a loss of full rudder control (could only turn to port) as well as a loss of all but the stern gun. In the spirit of the ship's name, I stayed on the water and talked smack to Don, Frank, and Rick King. They obliged by working me over while I tried to dance and dodge with only port turns. I did empty the stern gun magazine, lost my rear deckhouse to Don's triples, got the pump partially clogged (bits of balsa eventually clogged the screen), and was 30 seconds from getting off of 5 when Don's NC rammed the low stern deck and rolled the ship. She went to the bottom comfortable in the knowledge that she'd be resheeted for the May battle.

After the battle, Sgt FU was found recovering from his wounds and near-drowning in a plastic bag at Wal-Mart and he will be returning to duty next battle.

2. Tugboat

Forgot to mention... during the sunday battle, the Gearing was being aggressively used without regard to the pump and sank in 10 feet of very silty water and was lost with all hands. Charley is going back with scuba tanks to recover it today, and better yet, his son (the captain) took the loss very well.

3. klibben

klibben Member

Tug,

sounds like everyone had a great time! What would you say to submitting that to the newsletter? the April edition hasn't come out yet, perfect timing!

4. Tugboat

I could do that :) I saw some postings on the MWCI mailing list from other battlers, let me grab some of the info from their point of view to fill in what was going on while I was focused on Invincible. :)

5. klibben

klibben Member

Okay, thanks tug!

If you want to edit any of your story or anything feel free to as well, such as throw in the PS or anything. You can either just give it all to me here or email me it. Be sure to add your name! i dont think many people will recognize "Tugboat" as an author.

6. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Clark Ward :)

7. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Please sign as "tugboat" as well, or else I won't recognize the author ;)

Hey Tug, sounds like you had some fun doing a Bismark impression. I've done that several times too, but I was lucky enough to survive it. Keeping a low profile and not talking smack probably helped... Good luck finding that Gearing, Bitty Boats ROCK!