Greetings from central Texas!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mark Sykes, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Mark Sykes

Mark Sykes New Member

Very interested in getting started in this hobby once I get a few more things done around my house. Hopefully only a few more months... I got interested years ago when I encountered the North Texas Battlegroup at a Maker Faire and discovered this is a thing people do.

Still trying to decide on a ship to build for my first, and have been considering something that would have served as part of the merchant marine.

Either way, looking forward to learning and building!

2. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

3. Mark Sykes

Mark Sykes New Member

Thank you! That looks much nicer a drive than to the Dallas area!

4. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Yes it is. We are an IRCWCC / Fast Gun club. As far as choosing a ship I would suggest you come to a build meeting in Houston which is an easy drive and look at what the guys are using.

I am not familiar with the Merchant Marine vessels or how they are armed in the IRC but typically its great when all the folks in the area have similar ships so we can have balanced battles. 3 battleships and a destroyer makes for an unbalanced battle.

5. Mark Sykes

Mark Sykes New Member

That’s a good thing to know. Thank you. Gave the group a follow. I hope I’ll be able to do that this year. Finishing up building out a shed as a workspace and better storage, and a few other remodel things... also learning a few of the base skills on plastic model kits. My friends and spouse think I’m crazy for drilling tiny holes in a hull and putting tiny filaments in them. But I now know how to solder and will soon be learning how resistors work. And from there?

6. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Just come out to a battle or build session and see what is up. That is the best way to go