Greetings from Southern Indiana

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Michael J Rupp, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Michael J Rupp

Michael J Rupp New Member

Hello, I used to talk day dream to family members about doing something like this in our pool years ago. Then yesterday I found a video and learned that other people actually do this. I spent most of the day reading after that. Lots to learn and hopefully this sport/hobby hasn't died out in this area "close to Cincinnati" I see most people are going for fast gun but big gun personally looks more appealing to me. Though I have yet to stumble upon the rule list for these just bits and pieces. I think the hardest thing for me will be learning how the electrical works I have never messed with anything remotely controlled. I do have a few electrical engineer friends so hopefully one of them can give me a hand. Anyway if anyone wants to share any articles or information that they themselves have found useful when starting please do. So far I have been reading from this article

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-and-Arm-a-Scale-Model-Battleship-From-1/

I have also been reading threw strikemodels trying to figure out what platform to choose I personally am leaning toward a battleship just for physical space inside but depending on rules for armor thickness, bilge pump capacity, if you can make international watertight compartments And the benefits of fiberglass hull to wood. "I thinking finding a rule list would really help here" thanks for any help and
    happy hunting all :woot:

Julian Barbera likes this.
  2. pba

pba Active Member

Two of the Midwest Naval Combat Club live in Cincinnati we meet every tuesday at my house in dayton . I happen to have a Roma dirt cheap and others for sale or build reference. Go to our club listing and look under Makers Colombus to see some of our boats. We have a large battle in two weeks in Xenia .You can run a convoy ship or get an event waver for 15 dollars through NAMBA and run a warship.

3. Michael J Rupp

Thank you for the invitation and I will definitely have to look into it. What are you asking for price wise on the Roma and could I get pictures of said vessel?

4. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Wow, that went from "I found this video" to "ROMA!!!!" quick!

Right on. welcome.

Michael J Rupp likes this.
  5. Michael J Rupp

Well that happens when your not really set on any ship yet. Finally found the rules for fast gun and read threw them. After seeing how it's scored and how they assigned units and that internal bulkheads are prohibited. I think i would like to go with South Dakota class perhaps the USS Indiana. And for Axis the Nagato just ordered both plans from strike model I don't know side is needed more in this area.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  6. Anvil_x

Michael J Rupp likes this.
  7. Michael J Rupp

Thank you very much for the links and the info those look very helpful I figured since the NC had been considered one of the best ships be more of them out and about and less of the South Dakota class figured I'd go for something that could be competitive but different.

Anvil_x likes this.
  8. pba

pba Active Member

100 dollars to an active MNCC member, 200 to all others
    Come to our battle in xenia on the 15th and see a brand new sodac our club is treaty and battlestations which is big gun on steroids.

9. ZARUBA1987

ZARUBA1987 Well-Known Member

I would do 200 plus shipping for the Roma

10. Anvil_x

Like Tyler said in the article, build whichever boat you'll fall in love with. Just be patient when you're tweaking the triples and you'll do just fine. I just tweaked my first set this weekend and it took me all day. But I had a literal and figurative blast.

11. pba

pba Active Member

From what i have seen the roma would never survive the shipment

12. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

Bigger box with more bubble wrap... lol