Greetings from the middle of nowhere!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jean Valjean, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Jean Valjean

Jean Valjean Active Member

Hello. I've been interested in Big Gun combat for a while, but haven't had the time (I'm in High School), money, or other ships to battle with. I still don't, but I'm planing on starting a ship anyways, and hopefully I can convince others in my area to as well. I'm thinking I'll build a Jean Bart, and I'd be appreciative of any and all advice. Thanks.

2. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Where abouts are you located?

3. Jean Valjean

Bangor Maine. It seems all the Big Gun clubs are quite a bit north, south, or east of me.

4. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I think you're closest to IRCWCC (fastgun) people. You may want to give them a shout on their email list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ircwcc/

5. Jean Valjean

Thanks, I think I will.

6. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

before you decide on a format do your research and figure out which one interests you the most. Obviously if you want to go Big Gun and the nearest club is super far that will be an issue. I loved the concept of big gun and just could not get my self going for the fast gun style (nothing against them, just was not what I wanted to do) so I joined the closest big gun club to me. Being in Southern Cali that was a club up in the bay area over 500 ish miles once a month during the season. Now I am crazy, so take the distance into consideration as well. You can also contact the closest club and see if they are willing to help you get a new club started around your area, we have a guy up in Alaska trying to get something started. Most of the ppl in this hobby (no mater the format) will be willing to help you get started. More people = more ships which = more targets >:)

7. Jean Valjean

I've been doing my research all month, and while distance was a consideration, I also am just not a fan of fast gun. Plus, I bet there are plenty of people in the area who would like Big Gun if they knew it existed, and maybe some fast gunners who might try if if they could. I hope to start building Jean Bart tomorrow, and once it is finished, I will try to recruit as many people as I can. It would be nice if I could start a club, since I'm not such a big fan of long drives, but if it was nessecary, I would go to the nearest big gun club, although I wouldn't be able to as much as I would like.

8. Jean Valjean

I'm almost ready to start cutting the ribs, but there's a small problem- how do I get the rib sections? I downloaded the Jean Bart plans from the free plans section, but there are only 20 stations, and I need 33 ribs. How do I get the 33 stations I need?

9. Jean Valjean

10. Jean Valjean

11. Jean Valjean

Sorry, I didn't mean to do that- how do I delete the duplicates?

12. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

An administrator will probably come and clean those up for you. As for the extra ribs, you could just use thicker plywood instead of drawing more ribs.

Beaver

13. Jean Valjean

Thanks, I guess I'll just have to use 3/8 in thick ribs.

14. Jean Valjean

I've started building it, the build thread is here.

15. HunterR

HunterR Member

hi im from waterboro