Greetings from Victoria, BC, Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dcweather, Apr 23, 2020.

1. dcweather

dcweather New Member

Hi Everyone!

I've been frequenting this site for many years and finally decided to jump in and join the conversations. Currently working on a non-combat rc scratchbuild Prinz Eugen model inspired by the construction techniques and information I found back on this site in ~2012. I have experience in Marine Engineering, 3D printing, and Naval Ship design and I'm looking forward to discussions on these topics. Not sure if there are any active battle groups up here on the west coast of Canada, but it would be great to attend an event in the future, I'm sure it would be worth the drive!

Cheers!

David

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

there are some of us in the seattle area, we typically battle around Snohomish, Washington. Send me your email in a private message and I will make sure you are added to our local battle announcement list

dcweather likes this.
  3. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. Looking forward to learning anything I can from you while hopefully being able to reciprocate. This is a wonderfully technical hobby if you want it to be.

dcweather likes this.
  4. Mad_Modeller

Mad_Modeller Active Member

Welcome. As you can tell from the picture I'm out of Edmonton but I am a true lower mainland boy at heart.

dcweather likes this.
  5. dcweather

dcweather New Member

Nice! I just moved to BC, from Ontario originally. Do you know if anyone has had issues crossing the boarder with combat ready models? I could imagine boarder security being interested in something like that!

6. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I had a USBP officer ask me to explain the hobby once, they said it sounded cool after. Other then that no hassles.

Nibbles1, rcaircraftnut and dcweather like this.
  7. dcweather

dcweather New Member

Good to know :) Thanks!

8. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Yeah but it only takes one over cautious idiot to make things quickly go to stupidville or the twilight zone. Lol. Doubt it will ever be a worry and would probably be a good laugh afterwards.

9. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

It's all about presentation. You're clearly just taking a nice scale model to a model boating event. Don't even mention the cannons, firing capability, or other stuff unless specifically asked. And if they do ask, of course the cannons go bang. Why wouldn't a model battleship have scale features like that? It does help if your boat looks better than a couple of gun strapped to a raft, but any half-decent-looking warship should be fine. That trick has gotten me past quite a few security checkpoints. The only time a guard got nosy, he was more concerned about the GoPro camera I used than the boat itself.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  10. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

I had no issues crossing the border in 2019 for NATS. CBSA officer was quite interested in the ships, and shooting bbs.
    I have gone to secondary only once travelling across the border due to a brand new border officer, but she was cute so I didn't mind.
    You never know when a new member will join....
    Mark
    Ontario, Canada

rcaircraftnut and dcweather like this.