Greetings from Western Montana!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by AZSkibo, Dec 27, 2020.

1. AZSkibo

AZSkibo Member

Greetings all! My son wanted to get into RC combat in 21’, so I’ve got in a PE hull from MSA along with an Edsall to build the DE-135, my Grandfather’s ship. More on that story at a later date but he was present for the capture of U505 and we’ve got his original Navy shorthand log and translation s should anyone be interested.

thinking of building the PE into the Lutz for something different, if in name only. Looking forward to meeting everyone if only electronically at first. Hope to see you on the water somewhere, sometime. In the interim, I’ll be accumulating the necessaries to fit out both ships in the hopes of floating both when spring comes. Likely Mid-June.

2. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome!

3. AZSkibo

AZSkibo Member

Thank you!

4. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

welcome aboard.

5. AZSkibo

AZSkibo Member

Thanks Mark. Busy reading builds as I have a huge amount to pick up in the next few weeks. Lol

6. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

There's lots to digest. Also check out the IRCWCC rules, and construction link before getting too far into your building project. It'll save you time and money later on when you get into building PE.

7. AZSkibo

AZSkibo Member

Have been absorbing the rule book and build sections ever since. Fridge has an awesome build here that I’ll likely be following closely with a few drivetrain tweaks. Looking forward to learning as we go.

Fridge likes this.
  8. AZSkibo

AZSkibo Member

Started in earnest on structural layout from Morskie plans today. Waiting yet on some odds and ends to show up but I can get to marking and taping the hull, cutting ribs and sub deck while we wait.

Attached Files:

9. AZSkibo

AZSkibo Member

Laid out templates for what will become the sub-deck once I get ribs in and mounted. Also knocked together cradle so he sits level while we attempt all of this. :laugh:
    And received notification of a delivery pending next week from the Midwest. Thanks!

Attached Files:

10. AZSkibo

AZSkibo Member

Not terribly much to report today other than I took the hull down to the river and loaded her to IRCWCC ship weight, less 10% for safety margin. T turns out two rechargeable 12v batteries plus a an of enchilada sauce, a can of tomato, cilantro and lime, and a small can of black beans put me right at target (I forget at the moment; I’ll look it up again). Marked the waterline. When I got home I taped it per the usual method described here with 1/4” Autozone pinstripe tape. Keep it at room temperature for best results (the hull too); important to note in western Montana in January. Lol. I got the three subdeck panels cut out with a coping saw (no scroll saw in this shop). There appears to be a slight spiral warp to the hull resulting in a slight offset to the printed plans, but it’s only -1/16th or so. Ribs coming up next.

11. AZSkibo

AZSkibo Member

1999B04B-1B5E-4CD1-96A5-EC9031CBE9E4.jpeg Having trouble uploading images by phone. I hope this works.

wfirebaugh likes this.