"Growing" the Sport

Discussion in 'General' started by mike5334, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Skip Town

Skip Town Member

I was asked to talk about this sport on a local radio program. I met Luke Burbank at a listener appreciation party. Luke is the host of a radio program call To Beautiful to Live. Or [TBTL] for short here in Seattle Washington. I told him that I like to work on my ship while I listen to his show. I went on talk about the sport in general and that I have fought other people's ships but not my own, but mine will be ready this battle season. I also said there's got to be other people like me that work on hobbies while they listen to your show, because you can't do this [ship building]while you watch TV. That launched a part of the show called "Whatcha doing. It's going to be my turn very soon and what I what I want from you guys is this. What are some of that facts or points to put our sport in the best light possible? I don't come off as a moron.

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

That you can build and watch TV at the same time, I do it all the time![;)]

Safety! Make sure its clear that we take numerous steps to ensure its safe.

Know the rules for whatever club you belong to so they dont stump you on a rule question. Not only is it battling but there is a lot of fellowship in the hobby. Our boats dont get ruined when they sink and you just have to pull it back up patch the holes and you're ready to go back out.(people don't like their toys getting trashed) Talk about some local battles, mention the opportunity for travel, nothing like going across the county to fight a model boat!

3. metaphysics1221

metaphysics1221 Member

Just a note from the perspective of a complete beginner:

I think that a pre-built kit would not work as well as a kit with all the parts there like a model. Part of the reason this hobby fascinates me is that I love to build stuff, for me even the battling would take second chair to the engineering involved. I don't know if this is a common feeling, but for me at least a pre-built would not be a great idea.

I do like the idea of an affordable kit for a small ship or even a transport. I am unable to build a ship right now financially, but I would be more willing to spend the money on a <$400 kit that had everything there and I KNEW it would all fit right and work pretty well without an undue amount of stressful tinkering.