Gun Mounting Ideas

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by Beaver, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I'm looking for ways to mount the dual stern guns to my cruiser. Descriptions, drawings, or pictures of proven ways to mount guns is what I'm looking for.
    Thanks, :)

2. bgt0990

bgt0990 Active Member

3. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Here are some pictures of how I mount my guns. I solder little tabs to the mag and upfeed and then screw those into wood blocks that are epoxied to the deck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Thanks, bgt0990 and Snipe. :) Gives me an idea of what I need.

Still looking for ideas if anybody wants to share. :)

5. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

I mount my barrels to a block on the deck. Just a wooden block with a tight hole that holds the barrel in position. And then I use hot glue form a custom supporting base to mount the gun. Then either more glue or zip ties hold the gun down to the base. It certainly is not as elegant as Snipes way but it works surprisingly well and with a knife comes right of.

6. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Good idea Snipe, I like the way you do this...

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Necro! Chris, do you solder the tabs on whilst soldering the other parts, or afterwards? I get problems with post-soldering soldering where things come loose... but I'd like to use your method on my I-boat rebuild.

8. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

I do it after all the other parts. I normally leave the guns to last since they are the least important system. I add the tabs after I see how I need to fit the guns and know where they will be close to the deck which makes everything easier.

As for soldering the tabs on without everything else coming loose. It isn't the easiest thing to do, prepping the area correctly helps a lot. Use a decent torch. But the real trick is to heat sink the parts you don't want to come loose! I typically take some paper towel, wet it with cold water and wrap that around the T or Elbow that I don't want to desolder. Heat the tab first and apply solder to that and then stick it onto the mag, continue applying heat until you get a good joint. It's a little tricky but results in a rather strong mount. (I typically bend barrels before my mounts break, well I did until I shortened the barrels so they don't overhang...)

9. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Ahhh... basically tinning the tab before you heat the tubing. I like it. Thanks!

10. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I just have Jeff hold the t while I am soldering... this way the heat transfers to his fingers...

NickMyers likes this.
  11. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

My way doesn't look as pretty as some of the other things mentioned, but I stick machine screws through the deck and use two nuts and a wire holder around the magazine. I used to have pieces of epoxy through the deck but they kept breaking off.

I dont know if it was bad epoxy or what. I got mad and put the screw through the deck and it's been rock solid ever since. it looks god awfully bad though.

12. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

One of my favorite mounting methods I saw Mike Mangus use two years ago on his Scharnhorst was 1/4" ID aluminium U channel mounted to the deck and drilled for zip ties. It kept the barrel snug and has plenty of lateral support.