H-39 Build/Repair Big gun WWCC

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by greechronicles, Feb 2, 2021.

1. greechronicles

greechronicles Member

Recently picked up a old and beat up H-39 from @Nibbles1 garage. The ships has guns not sure they work though. The ship has a lot of cracked ribs and the superstructure was destroyed half a stack was missing and most of everything was missing but Nibbles 1 gave me some 3d printed guns. But its my second boat and probably easier than building one from scratch.

wfirebaugh likes this.
  2. greechronicles

greechronicles Member

3. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

If the guns work anything made of wood can be repaired or replaced. See if Ben has some plans and check the guns. The last time I saw that boat fight the guns looked like they work.

4. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Is that Walters old H-39? I remember it at battles being mostly dope and silkspan or painter tape because he didn’t have time to resheet.

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

sure looks like it. H-39 could take a beating, but it definitely would benefit from some TLC. The guns worked just fine when I was around. Good luck!

6. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

Yep. The thing is full of holes and it was 25% silkspan. I think A turret has a deformed gun barrel, but I'm not sure.

7. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Yep i remember helping him patch between sorties. If it still has his pumps in there you could almost leave a window unsheeted and it would still stay afloat

8. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

Those battles were just awesome. The H-39 was built out of pumps and silkspan. Incredibly hard to sink that thing.

9. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Next to impossible. I was in a last man standing against Walter and rammed the heck out of him (put a nice sized hole) with my Lutzow and he still out lasted everyone hahaha

10. greechronicles

greechronicles Member

Finished skinning the ship

Attached Files:

• ship.JPG
      ship.JPG
      File size:
      160.5 KB
      Views:
  11. greechronicles

greechronicles Member

anyone know what this is

Attached Files:

12. Kotori87

Those are MAR-1 secondary pressure regulators. They take the low-pressure output from the main CO2 regulator, and allow you to adjust bow and stern cannons separately.

13. greechronicles

greechronicles Member

14. greechronicles

greechronicles Member

Any one know what kind of servo this is because I need to buy another one for aft gun and I don't know what this kind of servo is called

Attached Files:

15. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Looks like a regular servo w/ a different head on on it. Given that it is rotation related I’d guess sailwinch servo.

16. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

Yeah, a continuous rotation servo for gun rotation. You can buy any servo and modify it to become a continuous rotation servo. We can show you how at the next build session.

17. Nibbles1

Is there another build session coming up? I could use some help with CO2. I really haven't been checking my email much so I'm not sure.

18. Argonaut

Argonaut Member

Your best bet is to look for a servo part number and brand. Then you can look up the specifications.

For turret rotation, it is not uncommon to use a standard servo and hack it for continuous rotation. Unless you know how to do this, spend the extra money and get a continuous rotation servo.

You should also know that servo splines differ depending on brand. For example:
    Futaba: 25T
    Hitec: 24T
    I think Spektrum servos have a different 23T? spline.

I was always told to use the same brand of servo for every ship I have. Using the same brand as your friends also helps. This avoids the comparability issues when you need a servo to get your boat back on the water.

19. Kotori87

It's a standard-sized servo all right, the question is what type. Have you tried turning it on and seeing how it works? Like jstod, my first guess based on appearance would be a standard-sized sail-winch servo. They used to be available from Hobby King and from Strike Models, but I haven't seen either of those available for years. I used one for turret rotation on my Viribus.

The advantage to a sail-winch setup is that you can use position control, rather than rotation-rate control. With my VU, I was able to quickly and accurately place my guns on-target, even when swinging rapidly from one side to the other. I routinely pulled of snap-shots against torpedo-cruisers trying to sneak into my unengaged side and turn an otherwise-free shot into an even exchange of fire. But it took quite a bit of work to make the operator's control simple and easy to use. I had to find a radio with a 270-degree dial in a convenient place for my hand, and then I had to modify the knob on the dial so I could easily operate it with just my thumb. I then had to tune in the servo's range of motion so the turret would only travel 270 degrees. If I pointed the dial straight forward, the guns would point straight forward. Point the dial 90* port, or 135* starboard, and the guns would quickly and accurately rotate to exactly 90* port or 135* starboard. The end result was that I could easily feel with my hand what position the cannon was supposed to be in, rather than relying on sight. This let me rotate my turret much faster, and since I always knew what position my guns were in I could confidently engage opponents much further from shore.

Most Big Gun battleships use motors or continuous-rotation servos to rotate turrets. This provides rotation-rate control, which is much simpler and easy to operate with common two-stick radios. Move the stick left, the guns rotate to port. Move the stick right, the guns rotate to starboard. Move the stick farther, and the guns rotate faster. It's very simple, it's very reliable, and if you have problems then anyone at the pond will be able to help you troubleshoot and repair. It's pretty easy to modify almost any standard servo for continuous rotation, the only downside is they sometimes start to drift in one direction or another. Or you can use a hobby robotics gear motor and a small ESC.

If you do not already have the equipment for a full position control system, I would strongly suggest that you use the standard rotation-rate control method. It is much simpler, cheaper, and easier to set up and will give you less trouble. If you really want to pull off quick snap-shots against a marauding torpedo-boat, put a couple of MJV guns in your aft secondary batteries as a point-defense weapon.

20. Nibbles1

@greechronicles just use the ones you have at home. Those should work. You don't need that exact servo, and if it really doesnt work I have a bunch of spares.