H-39 Build Thread

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by glaizilla, Nov 1, 2011.

1. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

Hello everyone, this is my H-39 build thread, when I figure out how to post photos I will update this thread at the conclusion of every build session (in which actual progress was made) To start things off, I have decided to discuss my rational for building the H-39 in battlestations,
    1) I love the boat, my first ever combat ship was the Hindenburg in treaty
    2) Shock and Aw, whereever I take the New Jersey people flock to it (freak show effect)
    3) It looks fricken awesome
    4) It is weakly armed compared to all other hypo super battleships
    5) its faster than most of the Super battleships
    6) see reason one, I love the boat, not for its stats, but because I just do, therefore it will be built...

2. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Matt,

Are there any small boats that you like? :)

Carl

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

It does look sharp, but as a post Washington Treaty ship it's too young for my tastes! Looking forward to the build pictures.

4. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Matt,
    Are you crazy! H is already to big :D
    Nikki

5. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Reasons one and six are the best reasons to build a boat. Followed closely by three.

6. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

You need to do the carrier variant! Then it will look even more fricken awesome... :cool:
    [​IMG]

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I agree with Dustin, are there really any other reasons to build a ship?!

I also agree with Steve! Hardcore cool!

8. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Guys,
    Who is that carrier!!

Matt,
    I still thing your nuts!!
    Nikki

9. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

When you build this ship, do not neglect the secondaries. Your relatively weak primary guns will require backup if you intend to discourage smaller pests, like cruisers and destroyers, from pecking you into oblivion. On a ship of H-39's size, however, you should have MORE than enough space to arm enough of your secondaries. And if I recall correctly, some of those secondary guns are in excellent positions, too.

10. dietzer

Nikki,

Matt's not nuts, he just likes things big.

And that carrier a variant of the H-39.

Matt,

I'm glad you're so passionate about your boats. I think I lost that somewhere along the way in the last 10 years of waiting for Battlestations! to take off. Hopefully I get mine back now that things are starting to really pick up steam again...

Carl

11. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

Good point Kotori, I plan an arming most if not all of the secondaries, big is a relative term, the power plant of the M1A2 SEP2 tank that I had the privilege of being a Gunner on Weighed 10000lbs, and you would need a 55 gallon drum every time you were flushing the transmission, Big is easy, the small boats are what is difficult. Last night I had a set of H-39 plans enlarged, the fella at Kinkos had thought the Jersey was big, he said the new boat (the H) would make most canoes (explicit) envious. While at work today, I am cutting out the 34 rib sections that I will be using. Right now all the time at the yards will be devoted to the Ramilies and the Jersey for the upcoming battle, my slave labor will be cutting rib sections out until 34 are stacked up for my review, or they learn how to do pneumatics/rc electronics...(insert Darth vader smiley-face with accompanying evil laugh)

Still shopping for the proper motor/ESC combination 3x 55mm outrunner types that Mr Mangus is recommending is leading the pack right now, though the Idea of running three 970s would be interresting

Right now, in list of priorities of projects I am attempting this winter, I have clear the slates(and slips) to devote all my time on the H-39, which may have a differant name like Frederich der Grobe, so as not to confuese everyone with which H-39 I am refering too, big hindenburg, little hindenburg just doesnt sing.

12. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

You could do separate deck and superstructure sections to make a Flugzeugträgerschlachtschiff and a Schlachtschiff on the same hull so the Axis have a fire magnet, er, I mean "convoy ship". :) You would just need to place a valve on the supply and fire lines to safe those aft primaries. As far as the name, Frederick the Great is a good one. I do like "Odin" on the model Steve posted, I also like Ludendorff; he was a WWI senior army commander who Hitler thought got scapegoated after the war. I think that "Leutjens" was chosen as a name for one of the class, but it is your ship, name it whatever you want.

13. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Nice choice, I wonder if somebody will build a Montana or a Yamato some day to go with it on the pond.

14. Tugboat

The biggest two that I had considered are the Bismarck and USS South Dakota.

15. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I always wanted to build a Bismarck but the fact that there are so many out there already was a bit of a turn off (there are three in my local ircwcc club the OAF). Other than that my main problem with selecting a ship for BS has been finding suitable plans with enough ribs.

16. Tugboat

I've got good ribs for Bismarck, QE, and Dreadnought from the AotS books, DKM Scharnhorst and DKM Lutzow from vom Original zum Modell, and most of the French plans online have a good rib count. In order that I don't clutter your build thread, I'm going to start a 'rib count' thread for people to post plans that have high rib counts that we need.

So let's see some pics of that ship, Chase!

17. dietzer

I just got some 1/150 Bismark plans from ebay seller Great Plans, four sheets with hull lines and stations. They are in PDF files and only cost $3.00. Shipping was free since they were emailed to me. Since each sheet is a PDF, should be easy to print out at 1/96...

Be the first to build a Bismark in 1/96! :)

Carl

18. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

It isn't fun when you have to interpolate ribs but it can be done. Just enlarge the plans to do it then shrink them back down to scale. It takes patience but an average set of plans could be worked with. Also if you get handy in delftship that would make it alot easier.

19. Mark

Mark Active Member

Tug, I thought you would have had the Bismark done by now, I've got Yamato sitting collecting dust until I get some spare time to play again. Any of the guys interested in Battlestations in the New England area?

20. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

All of my Rib sections, are cut out, the keel is cut out, and the decks have been transcribed onto the wood allotted for the deck, will post pictures soon, I am looking into getting a DX10 to control this monster, I love my DX8 that I use on the New Jersey. I went with 3/8" ribs, mainly because after 30+ ribs it can be well, tedious. Have two boat shops now, one at my house for the Treaty scale, and then my main shipyard occupying half of my fathers garage is totally devoted to Battle stations.