H-39 Hull (Was: Indiana Hull)

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Tugboat, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Quintanius

Quintanius Member

Pics comming up soon.

2. Quintanius

Quintanius Member

Update on my H-39 build. My last major project was adding spacers to widen the hull so that I could get the proper armor belt to show. I added 2 layers of poscicle sticks that I cut down on each side of the ribs, right below where the Armor Belt stringer will be. I'll insert a 1/8" x 1/4" stringer sideways for the armor belt, and that should do it. The last to the armor belt edge rib nearest to the picture is so that the armor belt gets naturally thinner until it meets the normal bow armor.

Some more recent work was to cut out the cap rail and notching it. Very long single pieces for the entire length for each side - makes me nervous, but it worked out OK. Dry fitted all the pieces again and feel like I can start gluing...then I remembered that I should do some ground work for the water channel and where the equipment will be...so, back to the drawing board with those additional items.

Cheers,

Thomas

Armor belt - the poscicle sticks are one with the ribs. Gorilla Glue and about 4-6 clamps made sure they were tight.

[​IMG]

Bow Shot - Added a notch and ran a 1/8" brass rod down the channel to harden the bow edge. Funny thing about the H-39...this plan from Goff and any other sketches I have found uses a sharp bow. No bulb at all...weired. So it will be like the English ships...just a sharp prow.

[​IMG]

All the parts and pieces scatteres about, ready for another build day - hopefully a few nights this week. I figure that I start with the stern and work myself toward the bow. Stern is the big solid rigid chunk with plenty of regidity to be the lock-in point and pull everything toward the bow. The baseplate is screwed into the table - its FLAT and NOT moving.

[​IMG]

Thomas

3. Quintanius

Quintanius Member

Gluing the stern to the baseplate.

[​IMG]

Stern looks good - stuffing tube sleeves look good as well.

[​IMG]

Last internal shot toward bow to verify ribs look even.

[​IMG]

Last shot toward stern before gluing ribs in place.

[​IMG]

Cap Rail pieces ready to go.

[​IMG]

More gluing tomorrow to make sure the stern is solid.

Thomas

4. Quintanius

Quintanius Member

Here is a link to my photobucket album in case someone wants to view all my pictures so far. I just re-read the previous threads - is anyone else building the H-39 at this moment?

Thomas

http://photobucket.com/h-39?albumview=slideshow