H 44 Class

Discussion in 'Construction' started by seaking_5, Oct 27, 2007.

1. seaking_5

seaking_5 New Member

has anyone come up with a set of plans for the German H 44 class of battleship?

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Not that I know of. It looks to me like a monster-sized Bismark with insane amounts of armor and oversized guns that would put Yamato to shame. From what I've read, the design never reached a point where they could even begin construction, so I would be surprised if there are rib sections available. Your best bet (if you REALLY want a monster ship that probably weighs over 100lbs) is to talk to your club's Technical Officer and find out if you can use enlarged Bismark ribs.

3. seaking_5

seaking_5 New Member

allright thx

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

The H44 was oversized and undergunned. For Combat it would be just a very Big Target. Cool to see but way too big.

5. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

I am pretty sure it is also a class not allowed in most clubs by rules due to it not ever having beenmade. I know in MWC it is not a ship on the ship list. Just like the Montana Class Battleship.

6. klibben

klibben Member

I'd say go with the Montana class, like John said - not legal in some clubs, but they did begin construction so it is legal in others.

7. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Montana was never laid down (i.e. construction started). H44 never even got close. At least, nothing close enough to start ordering parts & putting them together. What was actually drawn up, & what might have eventually gotten built, may not be very close to the same thing, even. That's why you really need a reasonable cut-off point. "Laid down" is good, because you know that somebody was serious enough about building something that they actually ordered & received materials, & started putting them together.

JM

8. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

The WWCC operates by "mentioned in CONWAY'S". If the ship is mentioned in the Big Gun Bible, AKA CONWAY'S THE WORLD'S FIGHTING SHIPS then it's OK to build. There is an H-39, a Montana, an Alsace, a Sovietski Soyuz, and other monsters. The general consensus is that ships that DARNED BIG are too lightly armed for their size, and don't stand up when two normal-sized battleships pull up with identical armament.

9. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

The H39 is legal in MBG (it was layed down, barely); and I've personally fought with Alsace and am building Iowa. The H44 is over "100%" (yes, percent) larger (tons) than the H-39, Iowa, Alsace, Bismarck, and (nearly) Yamato herself. She is a sea cow in the true meaning of the word.

You won't get her in the car, you won't be able to lift her into the water, you won't be able to manuver in anything short of a lake, and you won't be able to lift her after she sinks... However, if you do build her, take LOTS of photos. I'd love to see.

She would look something like this: (Using Carl's pictures)

[​IMG]

Panzer and froggyfrenchman like this.
  10. Selley

Selley Active Member

wow in 1/144 scale that would be 94.5 inches long( or in Australia 2.36 meters)

11. Gary Powell

Gary Powell Well-Known Member

Wow: I didn't realize this photo was out there. That is Deryk Haole and myself doing the first test run of the DKM Tirpitz that he built in 1/72 scale. It's something like 11 feet long, but build in two sections that bolt together in the center. Also, it does not take a lake to turn around in. Back to the H-44... In the early years of Combat here in No. California, in about 1987 Doug Weed of Napa had a fully built (but not outfitted for combat yet) H-44. I recall it being large; very very large, but not specifically how big. At the time we were all use to 1/144 Iowa's, Yamato's and Bismarck's and this thing dwarfed all of them and they were the same scale. As for plans, I am not sure what he used.

Panzer likes this.
  12. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

froggyfrenchman likes this.
  13. rickl

rickl New Member

The book "Diedeutschen Kriegsschiffe, 1815-1945" by Erich Groner, published in 1966 by JF Lehmanns Verlag Munchen, has a fold-out page with inboard profile, deck plan, and midship section views of H-44. If any one is interested, let me know and I can scan and email to you. Prefer not to post it on-line since I don't haver permission from the publisher for public release (so I need to ask no one else post it either unless they contact the publisher first).

14. indie2002uk

indie2002uk Member

Hi yes please do.! Thanks

15. rickl

rickl New Member

indle2002uk -- scan of H44 at 200dpi looks good, but need your email to send. Rely directly to rick@jreality.com if you wish to keep your email private.

16. indie2002uk

indie2002uk Member

thegeek likes this.
  17. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

That would be awsome Rick wfirebaugh@yahoo.com

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  18. __Titan__

__Titan__ Member

19. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Not spoil anyone's parade but I think I have seen this picture before. Isn't it a blown up shot of Turpitz and one of the Hipper Class CAs and then digitally altered? in any case, Strike has plans for the H44 class.

J

20. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

well, his caption does say 'Digital portrayal '