Hang on to your Seats!

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by wrenow, Apr 26, 2013.

1. wrenow

wrenow RIP

It may be a bumpy ride.

Remember how I mentioned that my advice to newbs is to buy your radio LAST? That the market is fluid?
    Latest developments:
    Hobbypartz has just ogtten the FlySky FS-T6 back in stock www.hobbypartz.com/79p-t6-6ch-radio-lcd.html finally. Buy up to $100 (2 of these and a couple of spare RXs for other boats, and the shipping is free). This is based on not much more than the old CT-6 that you have to use a computer and cable to program, but has its own programming interface and a 20 model memory - otherwise, much the same as the CT-6. (I have close to a dozen of the CT-6 V1 and V2 varients in my collection, and find them easy to mod and a surprisingly good battle radio)
    Also, I understand the FRSky Taranis, which runs open-source software (several variants to choose from, OpenRC, ER9X, etx.) and has at least 16 channel (perhaps 32) of outputs and tons of other really nice features for a battle radio, especially Big Gun style, is due out in the next few weeks from www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-taranis-x8r-combo.html for $175 or $199 depending on how you want it equipped (either one included a paded aluminum carrying case). This is a whole new paradigm of radio, more like the Multiplex Frofi 4000, or the Ace MK8000, or the MicroStar 2000 that can do things with ease that some of the $2,000 or $3,000 radios cannot do or can do with difficulty. We kind of knew about that, and Greg mentined in in a recent post. It will be followed by the Horus (aka the X12D), perhaps a few months down the road, and, later, the code-named X16D. One report is that the Horus is actually targeted to be less expensive.
    You do have to change you thinking gfor the Taranis and the other radios on OpenRC and related software. The knob, stick, switch, or other control on the box (input) you hold is just that. Nothing is connected to a channel until you ltell it to be. Each channel can have multiple inputs controlling it in various ways, and each input can have differing effects on whatever channel you choose. It may sound weird, but, once you wrap your mind around it and use it, you will be frustrated by the limitations of most other radios. Yes, if you want to do complex things like conditional mixes based on various values, you will need to Read The Fine Manual. But it is not in Chinglish. There are manuals, Wikis, etc. over on the openrcforums.com/forum/index.phpand you can download Companion (for OpenTX) or EEPE (for ER9x) for free and simulate the radio on you computer. I have done this to debug complex mixes for my Turnigy 9XR, and it works like a champ. Yes, there are Windows, Mac, and Linux versions available. So, you can find out the features and programming before the radio even hits our shores (a couple fo the Taranis switches are not fully implemented in the software yet - ETA a week or so, in time for the radio availability).
    Now for the bumpy road part. FlySky, the guys that brought you the FlySky/Turnigy/Eurgle 9X that people have been modding up to use open source software seem about to introduce the i10. Some pictures and final flight tests are up on the web, but not much else has been officially released. It appears to have the touch-screen programmer/readout similar to their new top-of-the line pistol style radio, and is rumored to have SBus for more channels controlled, and telemetry available, but not much else is known. Whether it will embrace the open-source community with a programming interface is unknown. Whether it will have an SD card is unknown. whether it will have voice alerts like the Taurus is unknown. Price is unknown. But, it is supposed to be shown this month at the Beijing model show and (yeah, right) available soon after.
    Criminy, the FRSky Taranis has not even hit the shelves yet, much less the FRSky Horus or the code-named X16D, and FlySky (the guys who brought us the computer programmed 6 analog channel
    By he way, for what it is worth, given the choice between the very popular Spectrum DX6i and the FlySky FT-t6 mentioned at the first, I would jump on the T6 due to having 6 analog inputs that are easily converted to using one channel to two results (in other words, you could have 6 fire buttons, throttle, and rudder, with a full channel left over for proportional pump control if you wanted. Not to mention that you could buy two, some spare RXs and other accessories for about the same price as the Spectrum.
    However, like Greg said, if you have your ship built to the point you are needing a radio, try and see how the Taranis fares when it hits the wild. If there are no surprise gotchas, it seems to be the one to beat. BUT, this opinion is valid for 2013-04-26 ONLY! As stated this market is very fluid and I might recommend differently later in the week. I note that the question has been asked on the OpenRC forum as to whether the i10 will be supported while I was writing this, and the development crew have no information on that new radio yet either.
    So, the moral of this story: Buy the radio LAST.
    Cheers,

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

this! I will probably sell my 9x to get a taranis as soon as I get the firmware compiling from custom code :) The i10 I am not soo excited about due to the (may change in the future) large amount of work it would take for opentx to support it. I am not betting money on the i10 having that support any time soon

3. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Greg, I agree with your assessment. I will probably hold on to my 9Xs and even tweak them out a bit more for Open, and keep my 9XR as well, but plan to go Taranis ASAP. I can always use backups/loaners for NABGO.
    While I want to like the FlySky i10 (I do like several of their other offerings), there is just not enough info out yet to make a rational decision. It may be tremendously incredible, may be a waste of plastic, or anything in between. It may or may not get (or even have available a means to tap in to) the OpenRC project support (FlySky's bad if not, and to FRSky's credit to use the resource FlySky inadvertently created with the 9X).
    The photos fromthe "Limits Test" on the FlySky site did not make me warm and fuzzy. I may be wrong, but the expression on the guy's face in the final photo did not look like "overjoyed" or "exstatic" over the results to me. But that may be a cultural misread.
    I may not wait for reviews on the Taranis in the wild to buy one, and take the risks of being an early adopter (I have enough FRSky goodies in hand to trust them pretty much), but I will definitely wait a bit on the FlySky i10 (even though I have tons of FlySky stuff too).
    Cheers,

4. wrenow

wrenow RIP

By the way, really liking the Taranis so far, now that I have one in hand.
    New news - SkyNorth has gotten together with Turnigy (HobbyKing) to bring out an 9XR Pro (9XR with a SkyNorth board in it - more memory faster processor, other enhancements). Due out before the Christmas rush.
    I like a lot of the features, but not even thinking of moving away from the Taranis.
    Still not a lot of news on the FlySky i10, but not overly excited by it yet.
    Cheers,

5. wrenow

wrenow RIP

6. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Remember me saying this market is fluid - Flysky still does not have their i10 in the market, and...
    Trunigy has announced the 9XR Pro with a Sky9X brain transplant and oher tweaks to be out by Christmas (yeah, right).

The FRSky Taranis (aka X9D) is slowly entering the marketplace as they ramp up production (they already have an early production, model A and Model B our, each with slight improvements), but are still hard to come by at the moment (I have one in hand, one in shipping, and one on a waiting list - I like this radio for Big Gun), and they just made the following announcement:

Radio: Taranis X9D +
    Estimate available within two months.
    The Taranis X9D+ will have some new features and functions over the Taranis X9D, including haptic, upgraded sliders, dual-color LED backlight grey-scale display, 6-position replaceable encoder, etc.

* Current Taranis X9D radio can obtain parts of new X9D+ features via components replacement and firmware upgrade.

If you need a radio and can get a Taranis now, no real reason to wait, as you will be able to upgrade the features you want later.

Cheers,

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Any hints on a shop that has Taranis in stock at the moment?

Still playing with my 9X, have the Open board to add to it but haven't got up the nerve yet ;)

8. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Hi Tug,
    Nope, scarce as hen's teeth due to demand, though FRSky has moved to a larger facility and ramped up productions.
    Best bet is to get on the waiting list at Aloft Hobbies. Instructions are in red here:www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-taranis-x8r-combo.html
    He is finally past the first huge rush, and methinks getting on the list now gets you a radio no later than about February, perhaps sooner.
    I got the one in hand from Aloft. The one in shipping is from HobbyKing (they got a larger order in a week or so ago, and all the mode 2s went hin an hour or so, the Mode 1's lasted a dy or two. There is no difference between the Mode 1 and Mode 2 radios other thanwhat tensioning screws you tighten or loosen on the gimbals, byt most people don't seem to realixe this. The HK ships without the power supply for he built-in charger (which costs less from Aloft) or the RX, and freight is high. I am back on the list for another from Aloft.
    Some other out-of-country vendors have had them in stock from time to time, but many make you pre-pay and pre-order (Aloft des not). Wayne at Aloft has been very good at prompt shipment and great service and prices.
    Hope that helps - production might catch up with demand shortly, and availablity a bit easier.
    By the way, a lesser radio, the Turnigy 9XR Pro is due out in December for Christmas (right - good luck). It is basically a 9XR with aSkyNorth board. I like the ergonomics of the Taranis a lot better, but some of the features of the Skynorth are nice.
    Cheers,

9. Tugboat

I've been on the list :) Just waiting.

10. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Hopefully soon, then. Wayne might be able to give you a rough guestimate.

11. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Also, Tug, If you find bits you might want to add on ALOFT's site, like an extra XJT module, X8R, or the 40A current sensor, yo might wan to snag them when available, because as the radios go out, the accessories get wiped out pretty quickly. I had an XJT and a couple of 8Xrs and some SBus decoders in hand before I ever got the radio, and, when it came in, all were then out of stock.

Just sayin'.

Cheers,

12. Tugboat

Yeah, that makes sense. At the moment, I'm focused on my Rostock build (diferent 3d printer) so that's eating up time and $$. I do have a FrSky 4-channel telemetry radio on my Christmas list, it'll be fun to play with.

13. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Hey Tug,
    www.alofthobbies.com/radio-gear/frs...ystem.html
    now has the XJT Tx module (that lets you upgrade to 32 Channels outwith a few add-on SBus decoders on two RXs) and the X8R RXs (the ones with the paddle antennas fpr better randge and the ones with the whisker antennas) in stock. They also have some of the S. Bus sensors in again.

Just thought I would give hou a heads-up.

Cheers,

14. wrenow

wrenow RIP

15. wrenow

wrenow RIP

16. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Oh, just got my second one today (the one I held my nose and ordered from HK - they charge extra for the charger and the shipping is high - it was routed through Jamaica and NY to Texas. Sigh.). Turns out to be a model C manufactured Nov 4th. Now I can be a little less fearful of flashing the flash, etc, since I have a backup. Still keeping my order in with ALOFT, by the way.

Cheers,

17. Tugboat

Huzzah! Wreno, I owe you a festive beverage! Got one thru Range Video. Also coincidentally got a check for my birthday that more than covers the cost, so I can buy some sensors and the expander :)

18. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Hey Tug,

No festive beverage needed. Entirely my pleasure to get you acquainted with this joy of a radio. If you haven't downloaded and installed Companion 9x yet, I suggest you do so now. The manual, too.code.google.com/p/companion9x/ Give a view to some of Scott Page's videos on the Taranis www.youtube.com/user/PagesFlyingCircus, and you will hit the ground running lickity split.
    That said, I woud be honored and happy to toss back a few festive and refrehing beverages with you anytime! And welcome to Taranis! Do you realize the main RCGroups page started by ALOFT hobbies back on April 04 2013 is now over 1,066 pages and nearing 16,000 posts? And just one thread of many?
    Cheers,

19. Tugboat

At the in-laws' right now, I'll download everything tomorrow at home. Looking forward to the possibilities.

20. Tugboat

What controls are used for the extra 16 channels? And do telemetry sensors use channels?