Hang on to your Seats!

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by wrenow, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

What controls are used for the extra 16 channels? And do telemetry sensors use channels?

2. Tugboat

What controls are used for the extra 16 channels? And do telemetry sensors use channels?

3. wrenow

wrenow RIP

First lets talk telemetry sensors - two varieties - the older ones work with the DJT series and a hub. The newer (for the Taranis) use a Smart Port (S. Port) and daisy-chain, so no hub. Neither uses the regular channels.

As for channels, you have
    2 sticks - 4 full analog inputs minimum,
    2 pots - 2 full analog inputs minimum,
    2 sliders - 2 full analog inputs minimum,
    2 2-position switches - 2 digital inputs minimum (some may be exclusive)
    6 3-position switches - 18 digital inputs minimum (some may be exclusive)

so 28 possible control inputs just from the hardware and no mixes.

Add 32 Custom (software) Switches, with logic etc., and curves, and you can compound this tremendously.

Plus the output of a channel can be made an input to another another channel and mixed with others.

And then the curves - Ooh-la-la!!!

Pretty much eliminates the need for two-position solenoid switches in Small/Fast Gun.

In Big Gun, imagine a 7 turret Agincourt, a single control knob for turret direction, and every available turret comes to bear. Of course you then need a turret/channel for each turret azimuth.

The bulb going off yet? You do have to retrain your brain - it is unlike any other radio (except perhaps the famed but rarely seen hearabouts Profi 4000).

You have inputs.
    You have output channels.
    You decide what input(s) cause what output(s) to happen.
    Nothing is presumed or predetermined.

Cheers,

4. Tugboat

Oh, I saw the possibilities... When I get back to the Battlestations Bismarck, I'll need those capabilities. Greg and I had been talking about such things with programming on the Open9X, but Taranis makes it easier!

5. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

That it does... and to add more fun... the built in programming I was working on for open9x (now opentx) still works on the taranis simulator when compiled for taranis.... Better still, taranis is powerful enough to straight up do the math if someone better at programming a UI than me can figure out how. I.E. there is no hardware limitation for having a mathematical function writer to define an output based on N inputs.... the hard part is coding that.

6. Tugboat

I think it will be great fun to experiment with. Does either of you know if it can associate a particular receiver bind with a particular model memory?

7. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Yep, Taranis runs OpenTX (with Companion) natively. Greg has even written some custom maths that can be compiled in (haven't found he need - yet - for them).
    It is easy to do onthe radio directly, but much easier to play on the companion interface and simulaor, then just copy the completed model over.
    One warning. I believe the sliders going from -100 to +100 is moving them frim fully up to fully down (kind of counter-intuitive to me, and everything worked wonky until I figured my brain was backwards).
    And yes, it does have model match to match one (or both, I believe) receivers to a model - IF you are ussing the X xeries like the X8R.
    Cheers,

8. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

The thing with the math is that I think there are enough mixes that the need isn't pressing... the upside of the custom functions is that one would make it much easier for others to set up/reset up a ship if they were well thought out... I don't plan to do anything more on that till I get a taranis (could be a while) for testing...

9. Tugboat

Wreno, what I want to do (if possible) is have an appropriate receiver in each boat, then just switch the model in the transmitter to use different boats. So what I'm asking is, would I have to bind to the different receiver every time I change boats, or bind it once to the model memory and it's good?

10. wrenow

wrenow RIP

My understanding is yes, what you said (no new binding, just switch to new model), if you are using the newer X series receivers (like the X8R it comes with, or the X6R or X4R due shortly). My understanding (haven't done it yet) is that, upon binding, you give each receiver a number. That RX or (2 RXs) can then be assigned a model in the model memory, and they stay bound. Do this for 5 RXS in 4 models (that Battlestations might want 2), and changing to a different model makes only thatmodel's RX(s) active. Again, this i my understanding from ehe documentation and forum - have not tried it yet.
    You could also move an RX, for instance between models, and have it used to different memories if you want. But, with the price of the RXs, I don't see much of a point.
    Cheers,

11. Tugboat

Thanks :) That clears it up. I'm already ordering extra receivers and some sensors from Aloft, so I'll do a theory-to-practice check soon. Getting an SBUS hub since the smart sensors don't go past 40A and I want to use the 100A current sensor.

12. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Warning, the hub can only be connected through the smart vario, as I understand it (which does you no good unless you have glider). the only sensors that work directly with the X series RXs and directly to Taranis are the S.Port ones. The 100A is due out shortly. they sem to like the XT60 connectors (I do to, so I bought a bunch on-line - even Amazon carries them, though my LHS does not
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...connectors
    ). They even have deans adapters Tamaiya adapters, and compact wireless "Y"s.

I would get one of the 40A S.Port sensors to start and wait on the 100A due out shortly. And I would get 2 of the SBus decoders and at least one decoder programmer. A bunch of new stuff is due in the next month or so. Just my .02, of course, YMMV.

Cheers,

13. Tugboat

It's okay, I can use it on my FS-iT4 that's going in USS Macon.
    XT60 is what almost all of my boats are wired with. I have plenty and they're cheaper form HobbyKing but not a great deal cheaper. If I was just ordering the connectors I'd probably use Amazon.

14. Tugboat

The tracking number is in hand, and the radio is scheduled to arrive Tuesday :)

And I checked the Rangevideo site, and it's out of stock again. Tricky to get these, it would seem!

15. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Cool. In your excitement, do not forget:
    1) it is a LSD NiMh battery included. Should not need a chrge to get started for a minute or so if you are anxious to turn it on (and if the battery is plugged in) . The supplied 800mAh battery is fine, but ALOFT carries a 2,000mAh if you want to go for hours or weeks between chargings.
    2) the wall-wart is NOT a charger, it is simple poeer supply - te charger is built into the radio - do NOT hook a smart charger through the charging hjack.
    3) if the TX and RX are too close together you will get a Telemetry Lowt Telemetry Found message repeating as the signal swamps (a foot or two?)
    4) the antenna only rotates 180 degrees and folds out. Most are a bit stiff. Turn with your fingers at the base and do not foce it.
    5) Make sure everything is calibrated.
    6) Back up the firmware and the EEProm ASAP.
    Indtructions for getting your PC, Mac or Linux box to talk to the Taranis are in the manual - they do need reading. Some cables do not work. USB3 ports should not be used - use USB2 for best results. You will, of course need a USB-USBmini (not Micro) cable.
    Have fun!,

16. Tugboat

Yeah, I saw that. The 2000mAH NiMH is out of stock at the moment, but I'm sure that the 800mAH will do me well enough for winter testing :)

It does say that you can run a 3S LiPO in the transmitter, but that it must be charged out of the radio for obvious reasons :)

17. wrenow

wrenow RIP

The standard battery should last you about 3 hours, more or less, with a full charge. The 2,000 mAh replacement goes and goes for 7+- hours.
    Cheers,