Harbor freight High speed cutting tool

Discussion in 'General' started by wdodge0912, Mar 28, 2020.

1. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

Harbor Freight has these cutting tools I was thinking about grabbing for the dremel. To cut 1/8 and 1/4" plywood. I think with something like that I can be a bit more accurate with my cuts and make some things for my Baden, better than I can with a jig saw

Any opinions?

2. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

That is the infamous finger remover. I work with "spinning death wheels" all the time, from dremel sized up to 7" grinders and metal cutting chop saws and that guy is on my nope list. You can cut plywood with a standard abrasive cutting wheel and while they still can explode/cause serious harm, they are a bit more predictable in my opinion.

I personally would just use a scroll saw for "accurate cuts" in 1/8 or 1/4 plywood.

Like all things in life from cars to guns to power tools, if you are careful and treat it with respect I'm sure you'll be fine using those saw blades. Just giving you a fair warning.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I concur. Those have a nasty tendency to grab the material and throw your rotary tool around, with devastating effects on your part, your limbs, and anything else nearby. Used appropriately and with correct care and protective equipment, it's fine. But in almost every case, there is a better/safer tool for the job.

4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

If you're looking for accuracy, that's not the tool. An electric jigsaw or scroll saw is one of the handiest cutting tools next to a bandsaw. Consider one of those instead. Less than $100 from HF.

5. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

If you prefer a Dremel sized tool those oscillating cutters work pretty good too.

wdodge0912 likes this.
  6. wdodge0912

I really don't have a good spot to cut with a jig saw. I don't have anywhere to clamp down the wood. And I'm just borrowing the one I have, the blade on it isn't great at fine cuts. If I had a sander, it would be doable though.

I'll have to look into one of those.

7. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Well, I built my first hull with nothing but an electric jigsaw and a dremel with a sanding drum. I held the plywood on a table with one hand and cut with the other. Sanded to the lines with the Dremel.
    IMG_7730.JPG
    Even if they aren't the best tools they're definitely capable.

8. rcaircraftnut

For plywood I prefer a bench top scroll saw.

Julian Barbera likes this.
  9. wdodge0912

I dont have a sander. That would really have came in handy. The one I had toasted itself when I decided it wanted to throw the sanding wheel straight up and off the drum. Was cheap harbor freight 101 price kit though or something like that. Probably getting a decent drum would help.

My dad has an old scroll saw that I can go use from time to time, but blades for it seem hard to come by. I was thinking of getting a band saw though, but might get a scroll saw, if K could set it up with a guide I wouldn't mind either.

But having a sander really is what I need.

10. rcaircraftnut

Small belt sander is a great tool to have.

11. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Here’s my setup, not nearly as nice as a solid workbench but more than adequate for making quality cuts. A spare board clamped to my folding chair. I just clamp the piece down to the board there. Fine blade on the saw. This saw, Dremel with reinforced cut off wheel, sanding drum, and small grinder bits, and drill are the only tools I need. Drill press and lathe are nice to haves that I use occasionally at Marty’s
    A595E2C3-E803-47CA-AEA6-F10DF52E9110.jpeg
    59C03A7A-F5C3-44A0-B552-908D747BF391.jpeg

Beaver likes this.