Hard time pick between for boats

Discussion in 'General' started by NASAAN101, Dec 30, 2009.

1. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Guys,
    There are four ships I'm having a hard time picking between, For it the two keys thing are size and weight! My two light cruisers are: Brooklyn is 50 inches or 4-feet/ 2inches-long/Model weight: 9 lbs max and little Atlanta is 45inches or 3-feet/9inches-long Model weight: 6lbs max and my two heavy cruisers are Prinz Eugen which is 57inches or 4feet/9inches-long, Model weight:14lbs max and Des Moines AkA Daisy Mae who is 59 inches or 4-feet-/11inchs-long, Model Weight: 15lbs max. what do the rest of you guys thing? and what are th pors and cons of them?
    Your Pal,
    Nikki

2. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Well, all of those are decent combat ships. Since you're a rookie and never built a ship before, I would scratch the Atlanta off your list. She might be a bit difficult for you to build as a first ship.

That leaves the Brooklyn, Prinz Eugen and Des Moines. You can't really go wrong with any of these three.

Brooklyn is a bit smallish as well, but buildable as a rookie cruiser. At three units, she counts as a heavy cruiser so you don't get the extra speed in the IRCWCC (unless the rules have changed recently) over the other two big heavies. Given it's small size, she should turn better then either the PE or the Des Moines. Twin stern guns give decent firepower and are easy to set up. Several of the ships have very, very interesting histories...my favorites being the USS Boise and USS Honolulu. The St. Louis class ships USS St Louis and USS Helena (same hull) also have interesting histories, but different superstructures then the Brooklyns do. If you're looking for a "little fighter", you can't go wrong with the Boise since she served for a short time with the Asiatic fleet at the beginning of the war, served in the Atlantic for the invasion of Sicily, and fought two surface battles (Cape Esperance and Surigao Strait). She's also smaller so you'll have less target area to patch holes in which is a huge plus to me. I dislike patching lots of holes/resheeting my ship.

PE and DM are both 3.5 unit cruisers of a fairly large size. PE is slightly shorter and has 3 shafts/single rudder which should make her a quick turner. Twin turrets prevents a true triple stern gun, but gives you some other options if you want to play with that elevated stern turret or have a bow gun. Prinz Eugen is pretty famous for having been with the Bismarck against the British at Denmarck Strait, but otherwise she had a pretty boring career.

The Des Moines offers you true triple stern guns which commands respect when you get them on target. She's also got a ton of hull volume and can take more damage then just about any other cruiser without sinking. I have a Des Moines class ship (USS Salem) myself and love it. The only Des Moines class ship to see any kind of action was the USS Newport News off Vietnam as a bombardment ship.

All three are good combat ships, so it really depends on what you are looking for in a ship. I'd probably go with the Brooklyn class ship for the small size and interesting histories.

3. NASAAN101

guys,
    What what im doing tonight is see how big my mom car back set is! then i can pick from there. what are the pros and cons with PG, Brooklyn and Des Moine? PG, Brooklyn and Des Moine? they will all fit in the car, the back sit is is 60inchs.
    Nikki

4. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Are you going Big gun or Fast Gun?

5. moose421

moose421 Member

I have the Wichita, which is the same hull as the Brooklyn. I was able to fit it in the trunk of a 07' Cobalt. Fits well in my 94' Grand Prix. I have it set up with the twin stern guns. She fights well, at least when I fight her smart. I battle her under the MWC rules. I had plenty of room for the interal workings. I was my rookie ship and build. Also, she handles the big waves when the wind is up. Had a Tiger chasing me and made the corner. The tiger took to much water and went down. One nice thing about the high freeboard.

Kim

6. NASAAN101

guys,
    Ill battle her with the IRC rules..
    NIkki

7. crzyhawk

A point in favor of the Prinz Eugen is getting more NCs and SoDaks to shoot at. When I battled with the IRCWCC (been a few years, so quite possibly out of date) the Axis had a LOT of small WW1 battleships with no target area for a cruiser to shoot at. For a rookie, I'd think that target availability almost has to play into it as well.

8. NASAAN101

Mike,
    What do you mean? I quick understand what you mean?
    Nikki

9. crzyhawk

When I battled with the IRCWCC, there were a lot of ships very low to the water on the Axis fleet with a lot of casemates; ships like Matt Moury's Baden and Cam Moury's Nassau. Ken Kelly and Tom Tanner have traded in their Derfflingers for Helgoland class ships as well, and Kens two sons are running Helgolands as well IIRC. They are also very low to the water with lots of casemates. For a cruiser without sidemounts (like the Des Moines and Brooklyn), the lack of target area and maneuverability of those ships makes them VERY hard to hit.

On the Allied fleet though, there were more North Carolina and South Dakota class ships. Good ships, but there is more target area to hit with a cruiser.

So if you choose the Prinz Eugen, you would be on the Axis fleet, and be have targets that are easier for you to hit.

10. NASAAN101

o ok..
    But there is also Daisy Mae and Brooklyn. But its so hard to pick just one..

Nikki

11. crzyhawk

yes, but the Des Moines and Brooklyn are on the Allied fleet. That means you have to shoot at those WW1 german ships. You can also shoot at the Yamatos and Bismarcks, but they are pretty dangerous. If you make a mistake, they will be next to you lickety split pumping twin sidemounts into you.

12. NASAAN101

Mike,
    that were i'm having picking.. on one hand PG and the other Des Moines and Brooklyn.. what are the pros and cons with all three ships?
    Nikki

13. crzyhawk

I've already listed them. But the reader's digest version:

PE:
    Pros: Nice room inside, three shafts = easy to set up power on center shaft, four turrets, single rudder with central shaft = good maneuverability, Axis team for better targets, 3.5 units, decent seaboat in rough water, 3 guns
    Cons: only 1 powered shaft = no redundancy lose a prop or get it mossed and you're dead in the water, no triple turrets, will bleed off speed like crazy in a turn, 1/2 unit pump

Des Moines:
    Pros: Excellent room inside, 2 powered shafts for redundancy, fairly agile for her size, wide stern with lots of impenetrability, triple stern guns, excellent survivability, excellent stability, good seaboat in rough water, should hold speed decently in a turn, 3 guns
    Cons: Big, lots of target area, single rudder with two shafts = less maneuverable then PE, only single turret aft limits options on gun placement, 1/2 unit pump

Brooklyn:
    Pros: Small, 2 powered shafts for good maneuverability, same sized rudder area as the two big CA's, simpler to set up due to only twin sterns, cheaper (buying one less gun) bigger pump (1 full unit instead of 1/2 unit for the other two ships), wide stern to hide behind, 2 turrets aft to allow more options with placement (I dislike the single turret aft designs), good seaboat in rough water
    Cons: less hull volume, reputation for rolling badly, only 2 guns instead of three for the other ships, harder to fit everything inside, due to smaller hull

14. NASAAN101

Mike!
    sorry, i didn't know you put them up on here!
    Nikki

15. crzyhawk

It's ok. Personally I prefer the Brooklyns.

16. NASAAN101

Mike,
    the thing is i know the history with little Atlanta and Prinz Eugen.. and I don't know all that much about Brooklyn and Des Moines aka daisy Mae.
    Nikki

17. crzyhawk

None of the Des Moines class ships had much interesting history. Check out the USS Boise (11 battle stars) a Brooklyn class ship, and the only Brooklyn class cruiser to fight in both the Atlantic and Pacific. The media gave her the nickname "The One Ship Fleet" originally given to the Salt Lake City after the SLC protected the Boise at the Battle of Cape Esperance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Boise_(CL-47)

Also of interest, USS Honolulu (8 battle stars), also a Brooklyn class ship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Honolulu_(CL-48)

Both of them fought in more battles then the Des Moines and Prinz Eugen put together.

18. NASAAN101

Mike!
    I'm sure.. I have Honolulu on my favorite ships list! But it little Atlanta, who fought like a tiger in the naval battle of guadalcanal.. but i know she's not an easy build, but she one im looking at..
    Nikki

19. crzyhawk

If you are interested in the histories, you should check out the Portland class USS Portland (the Sweet Pea). She's the only cruiser to fight capital ships at night....twice...and win.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Portland_(CA-33)

http://www.ussportland.org/

20. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

The P E is a good ship its a point and shoot ship. Me my son and his friend have done well with her shes big lots of room. go for it .
    i hope more women get in to the hobby. maybe some day thay will have a joan of arc Trophy at nats. good luck and go for the P.E.