Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen

Discussion in 'Full Scale' started by NASAAN101, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Guys,
    Ive been looking in to getting German Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen, I got on Battlers connection, they have almost every thing i need, but they dont have the deck kit, so i dont know were i can find it, or can i just get the stuff at a hobbie store? talk to you all later ok.. what come in thwe deck kit is this: Deck kits generally consist of pre-cut 1/8" lite ply main deck, pre-cut 1/4" deck rim, Main gun barbetts, deck panel screws, assembly instructions & depth gage. I dont know home much of this a can get at a hobby store.. Here is the maen resaon, i went her: But one of the think that made me fell in love with her at the begin with was the fact that she was a "lucky ship", and she always will be.. she was a little fight like me.. she was on the small size so am i , im only 5" 2' tall, so why is everyone alway underestimating her, as well as me.. She could still bite you, if you let her.. What do you guys think?
    Nikki

2. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

[​IMG]so if you like it get it . You will get help. I have a P.E. dose well with Midshipman. I have not had the helm of the ship yet. butt my dogs( MY FRIENDS) have had good luck with it.
    1 sink in 7 battles

3. NASAAN101

Evil joker,
    Did you get what i asked: I got on Battlers connection, they have almost every thing i need, but they dont have the deck kit, so i dont know were i can find it, or can i just get the stuff at a hobbie store? talk to you all later ok.. what come in thwe deck kit is this: Deck kits generally consist of pre-cut 1/8" lite ply main deck, pre-cut 1/4" deck rim, Main gun barbetts, deck panel screws, assembly instructions & depth gage. I dont know home much of this a can get at a hobby store..
    Nikki

4. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

If you have a decent set of plans and some basic tools its not that hard to build the subdeck and deck yourself. You should be able to get the wood you need at the local hobby shop. I wouldn't let the lack of a deck kit keep you from getting a ship you want/like.

5. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

look at a ship. You will know if you can do it. most likely you can do it its easy

6. NASAAN101

Joker,
    What do you mean? I dont quict under stand what you mean! OK this is a question, that has to do with this ship: If Renown and Repulse went up against PE, could they handle her, and get a tow line on her to keep her from helping her brother Bismarck in his last fight against KGV, Rondey, Norfolk and Dorsetshire? I guess what i was trying to ask is could they hold on to her with the towlines til, bismarck got sank, then when KGV and Rondey, when back to scapa flow, the four of them take her back with them, but if they able to get a prize crew on board, they dont have to two her, but say in a net around her, so she can run for freedom, that what i ment ok.. What i mean by getting in a net around her with KGV, Rodney,behind her and Renown, her sister on each side of PE! if she gets in to a wiggle and squimming mood, how do they handle her or is she dogmeat? And Explain why, it would help me understand better?
    Nikki

7. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

What? How are you going to put a towline on an enemy ship in the middle of a war, they'll be shooting at you? Im gonna say no. That really question doesn't make much sense.

8. NASAAN101

OK, this question, is about PG Coming to her, btother Aid, in 1941, it he was on his own? the question is in three Parts: If Renown and Repulse went up against PE, could they handle her, and get a tow line on her to keep her from helping her brother Bismarck in his last fight against KGV, Rondey, Norfolk and Dorsetshire?

I guess what i was trying to ask is could they hold on to her with the towlines til, bismarck got sank, then when KGV and Rondey, when back to scapa flow, the four of them take her back with them, but if they able to get a prize crew on board, they dont have to two her, but say in a net around her, so she can run for freedom, that what i ment ok..

What i mean by getting in a net around her with KGV, Rodney,behind her and Renown, her sister on each side of PE! if she gets in to a wiggle and squimming mood, how do they handle her or is she dogmeat? And Explain why, it would help me understand better? you guys and answer each part by it self ok..
    Nikki

9. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

The answer is no. PE would be shooting at them as they approached, and they would have to shoot back. Back and forth the shells would fly, until utter destruction resulted.

10. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Nikki, are you talking about trying to capture the Prinz Eugen? In naval battles of WWI and WWII, capturing the other ship was almost never the objective. If Prinz Eugen got close enough to Renown and Repulse that they could shoot each other, both sides would open fire. Given their significant advantages in firepower and armor, I would guess that any such exchange of fire would have destroyed the PE long before they got close enough to tow her.

That said, there is a chance that Renown and Repulse could disable the PE and all of its significant guns, without compromising its buoyancy, like what happened to Bismark (all guns silenced, but not in sinking condition). In such a case, I would bet that they'd do the same thing Bismark did: scuttle. The LAST thing the Germans would want is for their ship to be captured.

If you really want to find out, I suggest you run an experiment with the Distant Guns II: Jutland fleet-level naval simulator. It's an incredibly detailed, very accurate simulation of naval combat in WWI, capable of simulating engagements ranging from single torpedoboat actions up to the complete battle of Jutland, in real-time. It includes a scenario editor, so you can make a scenario with Renown and Repulse vs a German cruiser, and try it out.

11. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Great Answer Kotori87!
    Nikki has been on this topic for a long time!
    I think that what Nikki is getting at is the possibility of the PE towing the Bismarck out of harms way or at least to the area where the Luftwaffe could have stepped in and cover the two until they made it to France.

Can that naval simulator handle all of the ships that were involved?
    Most people only know about the main capitol ships involved in the Bismarck's last day. There was a number of other ships involved as well, cruisers, destroyers and other types.
    I have told Nikki that the PE would be going up against a fleet, not just Renown and Repulse in order to help the Bismarck to escape.

12. NASAAN101

Guys,
    I had a friend say this to me, and i went to get your take on it: If you were in John Tovey's place, and ordered your battleships not to fire on Prinz Eugen, the Prinz could then sidle up nice and friendly, without firing....come in really close, between your two battleships.....and then let both of them have three torpedoes in the belly, straight in the engine rooms, at point-blank range! Both your battleships would receive enormous, definitely fatal damage. They might even capsize within minutes. And the Prinz might even get away before your heavy guns could blow her to bits! Even if she didn't escape, a cruiser sinking two battleships....the Prinz would be a legend forever!
    Nikki

13. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

It would be unlikely in the extreme that PE would be allowed to get anywhere near the heavy BB's.
    Even if all the british main guns were firing at Bismarck alone, the BB's had plenty of secondary guns to turn on PE.
    There were quite a few brit cruisers there as well as other units.
    And if there were torps being thrown, well, Rodney's 28.5" torps would absolutely demolish PE.
    If PE had stayed with Bis, then their combined AA might have prevented Bis being crippled, and they may both have escaped, but that never happened.

14. NASAAN101

Guys,
    My one friend on another site said this: If you were in John Tovey's place, and ordered your battleships not to fire on Prinz Eugen, the Prinz could then sidle up nice and friendly, without firing....come in really close, between your two battleships.....and then let both of them have three torpedoes in the belly, straight in the engine rooms, at point-blank range! And i one to see what you guys throght about it?
    Nikki

15. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

I'm beginning to think Nikki doesn't have enough to do.

16. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

What engine room?

17. NASAAN101

Jason,
    in to the enginerooms of Batlleships KGV and the old girl Rondey. Rob, what do you mean by that?..
    Nikki

18. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

Well, Nikki, it seems that you are stuck on an idea that is simply not feasible, and even though we've all told you that, you don't move on.

Rob

19. NASAAN101

Rob,
    i was try to be a butthead, so for that sorry.. Any way, i found her as an RC combat boat, Ive never done anythink this size, so hiow do i know im doing it rightr?
    NIkki

20. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Renown OR Repulse would blow Prinz Eugen out of the water. No contest, no chance for the PE. 6 X 15" guns that can penetrate Prinz Eugen's armor at ANY range. PE will be on her way to the bottom before she can even think about torpedoes, assuming the damgerous things don't blow up on her deck.

No way could PE think about towing Bismarck anywhere. At the battle of Santa Cruz, when USS Hornet's power plant was knocked out by torpedo hits, heavy cruiser USS Northampton took Hornet under tow. Best speed under tow was about 3 knots. Northampton is also a sitting duck in this scenario, and can't maneuver. When another IJN raid came in, Northampton was forced to drop the tow or risk being an easy target along with Hornet.
    If PE attempted to maintain a tow, HMS Ark Royal will almost certainly launch a strike with Swordfish, which will be nearly unable to miss. That's not to mention, at 3 knots, PE can't outrun any of the RN's heavy ships (or even cruisers Sheffield and Dorsetshire)
    At no time would the RN surround the PE, espeically in torpedo range. They'll just pound her from long range, where the RN's heavier guns have better ballistics and thus better accuracy.

The bottom line is, there is absolutely nothing the PE could have accomplished other then die fighting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.