Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen

Discussion in 'Full Scale' started by NASAAN101, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

aah, wrong type of nickname then. I was thinking for an individual ship, you were thinking for an entire class of ships. Stuff like SoDak (South Dakota), KGV (King George V), Scharnie (Scharnhorst), and I-boat (Invincible).

2. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Kotori87,
    Did you even see the two nicknames for her: Faithful Prinz or Just Prinz for short, and if i remember, right those were two nicknames people actaully used with her!!
    Nikki

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I saw them, I just haven't heard them before. Prinz Eugen isn't a common boat in Big Gun, so I've always used her full name.

4. NASAAN101

Guys, this is going off topic, but what is the biggest diffince, between Fast guns and big?

5. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Well, from what I've been able to figure out, these are the main differences:

Speed. Big gun ships use a different formula to determine speed, and are slower.
    Guns. All Fast gun ships use the same calibre of ammo. Big gun ships have a range of different shot sizes to replicate scale guns.
    Combat reverse. Most, if not all Big gun clubs don't allow combat reverse.
    Rate of fire. Big gunners use different rates of fire for each ammo size. Fast gunners shoot as fast as they can press their trigger, generally.
    Pump rates. Fast gun pumps use a restrictor of a set size and pump motor sizes to limit pump rates, Big guns control actual pump rates.

There are other differences in battle formats, balsa thicknesses, and other operational stuff, but I think this may cover the main differences.

6. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Not sure you can consider the Prinz Eugen a fighter that proved it more then once. She was at Denmark Straight, sure, but did little else all war long except almost sink the Leipzig by ramming her. If you want a German ship that actually mixed it up with enemy ships on multiple occassions, Admiral Hipper is the one to look at.

7. NASAAN101

crzyhanks,
    BC, does not have Hipper yet, the one they do have is Prinz Eugen.. Shes the one i know a little about and all that, so she the one im going with..
    Nikki

8. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Not saying you shouldnt. PE was a fine ship, possibly one of the prettiest cruisers ever built. Just saying she didn't do much when compared with other ships.

9. NASAAN101

YA, I know that and that might have keep her a flot for the three or four years after her bigger brother Bismarck was sank!
    Nikki

10. Uss Laffey

Uss Laffey New Member

The Prinz Eugen was bombed in Thailand, in Phi Phi? She is still floating, but capsized. :(

11. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

12. NASAAN101

Nick,
    You got that right. in 65- to- 150- feet of water! Little Prinz, as she known with me, Was i thing one of Germany most Prettiest boats! RIP Little Girl!
    Nikki

13. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

A little more information about the PE

The PE was allocated to the target fleet for the Operation Crossroads atomic bomb tests. She survived the Able and Baker tests (July 1946), but was too radioactive to have leaks repaired. In September 1946, she was towed to Kwajalein Atoll and capsized on 22 December 1946 over Enubuj reef, where she remains to this day (8°45'9.49?N 167°40'59.60?E? / ?8.7526361°N 167.683222°E? / 8.7526361; 167.683222). In 1978, her port propeller was salvaged and is preserved at the German Naval Memorial at Laboe.

Prior to the atomic tests, the ship's bell was removed by US sailors. The bell currently resides at the Navy Museum's new Cold War gallery located at the Washington DC Navy Yard.

14. NASAAN101

tom,
    Did you say she still has some armament on board? PG Is just special to me, and i cant put my finger on why.. but she just is.. RIP old girl!
    Nikki

15. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

She should have 6 of her 8 guns aboard. The guns from A turret were removed for testing by the USN. At least one still exists in Virginia. IIRC.

16. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

There's one on display at the Dahlgren Naval Surface Warfare Center.

17. NASAAN101

Guys,
    the Dahlgren Naval Surface Warfare Center isn't open to the pubic is it?? and if so how much dose it cast to go there?
    NIkki

18. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Nikki:
    Not only is the PE armed. She had a full complement of ammunition, food, fuel, and other supplies onboard. For the Atomic Bomb test, they had loaded all of the target ships to operational status. The Navy wanted to see how quickly a ship could be manned and ready for action after being attacked. They had thought that once the smoke had cleared from the blast, sailors could just jump onto any ship that had survived and prepare it for action. They did not realized that the ship would have to be decontaminated from radiation first!

19. NASAAN101

Tom,
    I never knew that! The top deck lay out you give me, can i take that to the IRC Spring Regionals with me or no?? i wish i could find some stuff on her in crossroads..
    Nikki

20. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

There is "Operation Crossroads" and another called Ghostfleet of Bikini, or something like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.