Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen

Discussion in 'Full Scale' started by NASAAN101, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Anachronus,
    Its was Crossroads PG was in! still might surprise you guys, she was only 6-years-old when she was sank, so in a way, she was only a young ship in terms of ago!!
    NIkki

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

She was a tough young lady. Standing up to two nuclear tests and sinking due to no damage control.

3. NASAAN101

Anchronus,
    That's putting it mildly! she was a tough little bugger! she was mildly damaged in both tests! here is a little on what i found about it: 1 July 1946: A-bomb test Able. At 0900, a nuclear bomb dropped over a target fleet of ships by a B-29 detonates at 518 feet above the surface. Prinz Eugen is located 1,194 yards from the point of explosion and survives the test undamaged.

25 July 1946: A-bomb test Baker. At 0835, and nuclear bomb is detonated underwater at a depth of about 90 feet. Prinz Eugen is located 1,990 yards from the explosion, and again survives the test with no appreciable damage.

Late August 1946: Decommissioned.

Early September 1946: Towed to Kwajalein Atoll.

22 December 1946: Due to leaks takes a 35ยบ starboard list and capsizes over Enubuj reef.

4. NASAAN101

Guys
    here's were She was during the two tests Bomb A she was 1,194 yards or 3,582 feet or 0.6 miles, and Bomb B 1,990 yards or 5,970 feet or 1.1 miles..
    Nikki

5. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

6. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Sleek and lean. The best looking CA from WW2.

7. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

I've never been there, but I'm guessing the display area is not publicly accessible.

8. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Nikki:
    That is yours to do what you like with it!

On another note:
    Looks like I need to take a ride out to Dahlgren.
    I will take some photos for you Nikki.

9. NASAAN101

Tom,
    Thanks, if you go, may i come with you if mom and dad are ok with it?? how long were her Barrels? what are the few vital part, you can take out on the guns. this, is off a forum I'm on?
    Nikki

10. NASAAN101

Guys,
    If PG was able to give, light Cruiser Dido and Heavy cruiser Devonshire, H.M.C.S. Iroqoois and H.M.S. Savage, could The two groups are: US Heavy cruisers Baltimore, Boston, Canberra, Quincy,Pittsburgh, Saint Paul along with Heavy cruiser HMS Devonshire and Canadian DD HMCS Iroqoois. there group would come in from behind so if she try to run that way, she got know were to go, then with US light cruisers: USS Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Savannah, Nashville, Phoenix, Boise, Honolulu, St. Louis along with light Cruiser Dido, HMS Savage coming in from the front, she totally corner! What do you thing. then have, HMS Devonshire and Canadian DD HMCS Iroqoois along with light Cruiser Dido, HMS Savage, come in just those four, then with the other 14 ships they all that her to a US naval base, then what?
    Nikki

11. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I'd rather not speculate. Heh. ;)

12. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

But if we're wargaming it, looking at the opposing forces, I as Kreigsmarine player would spend the rest of my force points on CV Graf Zepplin and BB Bismarck. It's only fair :) The carrier-based aircraft scout for Big Biz and PE, allowing Big Biz to pound the cruisers, and probably a few torpedo runs from the CV's torpedo bombers. Germans win hands down :)

Or, if they try and take her to the US coast, I use the U-boats that were operating more or less freely along the Atlantic seaboard to sink everything in sight. Oh, wait, they did. I'd send the U-boats to sink everything in sight of the PE :) And if already manned by a prize crew, I'd have them sink the PE as well to dney the Allies their prize.

13. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Because the U-boats were able to save Bismarck. Just a few more miles and we'll be under air cover. Does work like that.

14. NASAAN101

guys,
    this is in the Pacific, if she had the legs to get that far! What they should have done was wait for tripper, Scharnie and Gneisenau! and those five ships, would have been able to protect eachother! what do you guys thing?
    Nikki

15. Tugboat

You wanted speculation and wargaming of the result. Nowhere did I say that I was being realisitic. Bob, if the scenario did not specify allied air or other assets, you don't get to use your verdamt Swordfish ragbag biplanes :) Nikki picked a bunch of allied cruisers for her force, and I made up the points value with what I wanted to fight it out with :) So, 8 or 9 cruisers versus PE, Bismarck, and a CV. Seems pretty straight up to me :) It'd be more entertaining if I subbed in Scharnhorst or Gneisenau for the Bis, but eh, whatever :)

Nikki, if you get to drop PE in the middle of the Pacific, I can teleport Bis and Graf Z... :)

16. NASAAN101

tug,
    That's cool, 18-ships to the Atlantic, but there a twist, she get in to a forjd, how do you get her out?
    Nikki

17. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

in small pieces on barges

18. NASAAN101

Nick,
    I dont understand what you mean? tugboat, I just wented to see what you guys thing about this idea and what her chance really were: If PG was able to give, light Cruiser Dido and Heavy cruiser Devonshire, H.M.C.S. Iroqoois and H.M.S. Savage, could The two groups are: US Heavy cruisers Baltimore, Boston, Canberra, Quincy,Pittsburgh, Saint Paul along with Heavy cruiser HMS Devonshire and Canadian DD HMCS Iroqoois. there group would come in from behind so if she try to run that way, she got know were to go, then with US light cruisers: USS Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Savannah, Nashville, Phoenix, Boise, Honolulu, St. Louis along with light Cruiser Dido, HMS Savage coming in from the front, she totally corner! What do you thing. then have, HMS Devonshire and Canadian DD HMCS Iroqoois along with light Cruiser Dido, HMS Savage, come in just those four, then with the other 14 ships they all that her to a US naval base, then what? I know i repeated the question, but its two group of ships, US Heavy cruisers Baltimore, Boston, Canberra, Quincy,Pittsburgh, Saint Paul along with Heavy cruiser HMS Devonshire and Canadian DD HMCS Iroqoois. there group would come in from behind and USS Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Savannah, Nashville, Phoenix, Boise, Honolulu, St. Louis along with light Cruiser Dido, HMS Savage coming in from the front. what do you guys really thing, can she get out of that net or is she dog-meat!
    Nikki

19. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

i vote for tiny pieces at the bottom of the ocean.

20. Tugboat

Stacking the deck against PE with that kind of force, and assuming her to be blind to the encirclement, there is only one answer... And it's not entertaining because there is no hope of escape nor victory. That's like me proposing a hypothetical battle between the Love Boat and the entire US Pacific nuclear submarine fleet. What are the odds of it escaping them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.