Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen

Discussion in 'Full Scale' started by NASAAN101, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Charro would survive.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Aiyiyiyiyiyiyi! I totally LOVE Charro :) She was a 12-year old boy's best reason to watch that show ;)
    Not only would she survive, the submarine crews would fight over which sub she rode home on!

3. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Guys
    I know i repeated the question, but its two group of ships, US Heavy cruisers Baltimore, Boston, Canberra, Quincy,Pittsburgh, Saint Paul along with Heavy cruiser HMS Devonshire and Canadian DD HMCS Iroqoois. there group would come in from behind and USS Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Savannah, Nashville, Phoenix, Boise, Honolulu, St. Louis along with light Cruiser Dido, HMS Savage coming in from the front. what do you guys really thing, can she get out of that net or is she dog-meat!
    Nikki

4. Tugboat

I thought I was pretty clear that the PE would be DEAD.

5. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I think the PE being DEAD in that situation is being far to kind as to what the actual outcome would have been. Seriously, why do you keep asking these types of questions?

6. NASAAN101

Chase,
    Maybe, i know in a fight like that with it being just heavy and light cruisers like, she might won! it 19-ships vs 1, i know the odds are against her, but it not like im looking at it as a full out dog fight, im thing im thing in team of getting her corned and captued!
    Nikki

7. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

19 vs 1? There really isn't any chance to be had.

8. Anachronus

Check Surigao Strait for an excample of the outcome of such an encounter.

9. Tugboat

Ah, Taffy 3. But odd coincidence, last night I was reading about that battle. My attention was drawn to a single small ship, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, which was outmatched even more than PE would be in Nikki's scenario. Knowing that they were going to die, they charged the enemy line. The captain put it out of the 1MC that that though they were not likely to survive, they would do their duty. From what happened (engineering-wise), I can imagine the following down in the engine room.

Sailor#1: 'Damn.'
    Sailor #2: 'Hey, Eng, if we ain't gonna live more than a couple minutes, are we REALLY worried about plant longevity?'
    Eng: 'Let's see what this ship can DO'.

This is one of those moments that snipes (like me) love. It's dramatic, poignant, and it sings out to the lil engineering devil in all good snipes. What could your engines DO if you didn't worry about making them last... In the hour before the ship was blown in half by 3 shots from Fuso, the little DE got so close to Chokai (Takao class CA), that her 8" guns couldn't bear. The Roberts got off a torpedo shot which blew off Chokai's bow, and in the close-range carnage that followed, her doomed drew blazed away with her two single 5" guns, and the AA boys topside cut Chokai's superstructure to ribbons with 20mm and 40mm fire. The cruiser Chikuma was also hit and her bridge put ablaze, and lost her #3 gun turret. And those marvellous boys in the engineroom achieved a top speed of 28.7 knots, 125% of design speed. Brings an effing tear to my eye to imagine it. Also makes me want to hang Bull Halsey by the privates until dead.

Inspiring that men such as those walked the Earth, but not a wargame scenario I'd care to play out. 19-to-1 odds is not something that realistically gets survived. The only reason that Taffy 3 survived was that the IJN Admiral lost his nerve and assumed that no one would have pressed such a suicidal attack unless there was a lot of support nearby. In the PE scenario given, the allies would have no such fear. Additionally, vis-a-vis capturing PE... what happened to the Bismarck under similar circumstances???

10. NASAAN101

Guys,
    with Bismarck the odds were 4 vs 1! and the cruiser stayed out of it, til his big guns were knocked out!
    Nikki

11. Tugboat

Not sure what the point is that you are trying to prove.

12. NASAAN101

Guys,
    with Bismarck last fight the odds were 4 vs 1! The cruiser(Norfolk and Dorsetshire) stayed out of it, til Bismarck's big guns were knocked out!
    Nikki

13. Anachronus

@Tug, I was thinking more of Nishimura v. Oldendorff. Taffy-3 was amazing.

14. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Is there a seperate memorial for the Tin Can heroes of Taffy 3?
    If not, there should be.

As for capturing any German warship on the high seas?
    Wouldn't happen.
    Ever.

They'd rather have blown their own magazines than let their ship fall into enemy hands.
    No ifs, buts, or maybe's, there's NO WAY.

I do wonder what would have happened in a one-on-one between a Yamato and a Sovietsky Soyuz, in a daylight engagement with no interference from other ships.
    They probably would have damaged each other so badly, both would sink.

15. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

I agree there should be a memorial for Taffy 3.

As for the capture of a German Warship on the high seas.
    Just look at the last minutes of Bismarck or the Battle of the River Plate.

In both cases the crew set off the scuttling charges rather than face capture.

Never will a crew allow their ship to fall into emeny hands, they would rather sink her.

16. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Yes there is a memorial!

http://www.navsource.org/archives/03/features/taffy3m.htm

17. Tugboat

I know that there's one in California, but I'm too lazy to follow the link to see if it's that one at 7:15 on Sunday lol :)

Also, a wing in one of the buildings at the USNA was named for the Samuel B. Roberts, 'The DE that fought like a battleship'. At the October battle, I intend to toast them at our Saturday hot dog banquet (since the battle was in October)

18. NASAAN101

Guys!

Are none of you hearing me, Not In a Fight! My thing is just for the two group to trip her: US Heavy cruisers Baltimore, Boston, Canberra, Quincy,Pittsburgh, Saint Paul along with Heavy cruiser HMS Devonshire and Canadian DD HMCS Iroqoois. there group would come in from behind and USS Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Savannah, Nashville, Phoenix, Boise, Honolulu, St. Louis along with light Cruiser Dido, HMS Savage coming in from the front. in a house shoe shape, that way, if she dose run, she completely cornered!
    Nikki

19. Tugboat

NIKKI, IT WOULD NOT ESCAPE, NOR WOULD IT BE CAPTURED. THE GERMANS WOULD BLOW THE SCUTTLING CHARGES TO PREVENT IT, LIKE THEY DID WITH BISMARCK. THE ALLIES WOULD NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER, NUNCA Y JAMAS, EVER CAPTURE THE P.E. ON THE HIGH SEAS, SHORT OF THE END OF THE WAR AND SURRENDER BY GERMANY, IN WHICH CASE IT WOULDN'T MATTER IF IT WAS 19 CRUISERS OR A COAL-POWERED TUGBOAT COMING TO GET IT.

THAT IS THE COLLECTIVE ANSWER WE'VE TRIED TO GIVE YOU. WE HAVE TRIED TO BE GENTLE. IT'S OVER. PLEASE.

With that in mind, this topic is locked. That's a first, so don't think I do it lightly. The topic has been done to death, it's time to find a new horse to beat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.