Hello from Derwood MD

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ralph Architzel, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Ralph Architzel

Ralph Architzel Member

Just joined and interested in learning / building a warship to complement the rc controlled static dive submarine which my son Mike put together with me (mostly him). I want to get into something soon and may have to move fast because of pending shutdown of strikemodels.

Thinking about a Portland battleready ship kit but as an easier first build may be easier to go with the Italian frigate ulll/ kit.

Also interested in whether instead to consiter something like a battle connections nagato ship kit as preferred. A little worried about availabily of parts and supplies if I go the strikemodels closeout route

2. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Ralph,

Welcome to the hobby. I'm right down the road from you just off Muncaster and Emory. Don't worry about Strike closing as there's still Battlers Connection supporting the hobby. I've got a well equipped shop, can build a decent cannon, and have no problem getting you started in the hobby. Would be great to get a Montgomery County division of MAG (Maryland Attack Group) up and running!

Beaver likes this.
  3. Ralph Architzel

Ralph Architzel Member

Steve, Thanks for reaching out and offering to help me get going. In reality I do not see myself or my son actually battling and destroying what we will hopefully put together soon. I would like to observe some future battles. I do want to get a battle ready kit but don't want to get it shot up and sunk..Maybe aim the bb's middling straight forward and scare the Canadian geese invasive of the newly converted wet pond (from dry pond) the state installed adjacent to my backyard. Also will be taking it to the pool once a month (in Shrewsberry) to accompany Mike (my Son) as he is driving and patrolling the USS Permit static sub we put together (I served on SSN 673 FlyingFish (Sturgeon class) and Andrew Jackson SSBN 619). The Permit model sank last session but not due to combat action, there were cylinder leaks which led to water intrusion and shorted out power so boat had to be rescued from bottom.

So currently trying to decide what to complement with his sub. I served on the USS Albany during midshipmen cruise summer but don't see a specific cruiser matching from Strike models. I also served on the USS Randolph during second class cruise so maybe a carrier but unlikely (my brother was CO USS Teddy Roosevelt) Anyway rambling but trying to figure out which ship kit to get from strike best suit our needs/desires before his hulls are gone.

4. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Welcome from a fellow bubblehead (USS Columbia, SSN-771). RC combat is not for everyone, but the ships really don't get destroyed, just pour the water out, patch holes, and repeat. Sounds like your sub could use some of our waterproofing techniques. As Steve mentioned, you are in a really good location for RC warships, but we generally stick to combat vs scale stuff. We also generally frown on use of our systems for anything other than sanctioned combat, since we like our hobby and would not like it to be impacted negatively from outside incidents. There are semi-weekly meetings on Friday nights in Annapolis if you want to see boats in person.

5. Ralph Architzel

Ralph Architzel Member

Are these meetings throughout the year at a pool or pond or meeting room? Or when it gets warmer?

6. SteveT44

The Annapolis group typically meets every Friday evening temperature permitting (it's in Marty's unheated garage). I don't get over there much because it's a 100 mile round trip from Rockville in Friday night traffic. If you want to checkout some hardware and building techniques closer to home, I've got two battle ready boats on the shelf and an Atlanta cruiser currently under construction (in my heated basement shop ;)). Your more than welcome to come over and check it out. If you have a pond in your backyard I'd be interested in checking that out. As to the USS Albany, she can be built up on a Baltimore class (they shared the same hull design). Strike has a lasercut plywood kit of that hull. FYI, the Albany was launched before 1946 so qualifies as an IRC combatant but you would have to finish her off in her original gun cruiser configuration if you wanted to battle her.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  7. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

it's got heat! just takes a while! And can not handle the super cold we had a while back.

8. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

We are going to meet this Friday (at the Hayes Shipyards, 1106 Skyway drive, Annapolis, Md ) to set up the dates for the local battles at Greenbriar State Park in Spring and Fall. BTW, in combat the Baltimore Class is a poor combat boat (too long and does not turn well).

9. Ralph Architzel

Ralph Architzel Member

Thanks for the offer to assist Steve. I would very much like to meet and greet soon . Full disclosure is that I have advanced cancer so limited mobility such that my wife or son may be needed to get me over to your place. I also don't relish 100 mi rt to Annapolis at the moment, but maybe if my son is interested he can join on a separate track from Charles County to see what goes on there.

Re the pond in backyard, I will try to post a pic here. The state took backyard for a year or so to convert existing dry pond to a wet pond as part of Intercounty Connector wetlands impact. The project is mostly completed swamp plants and all, but currently Parks may not have been given back control and the big pond drain valve is open. So depth isn't there yet; it will eventually be about 5 feet at minimun depth and maybe 10 feet max at full pond which will drain slowly due to filtered and orifice outlet. There are two other new wetponds in walking distance (my yard backs up to Crabbs Branch Stream valley park with Needwood golf course on opposite hill. Yesterday I received a brand new Aquasport Fire rescue boat which hopefully I can use to retrieve my son's sub if it sinks or gets stuck there (need a grappling device). Haven't tried it out yet but looks cool and servos etc all working.

Oskaloosa wet pond 20180125_091811.jpg fire rescue 20180124_165923.jpg

10. SteveT44

Dude, that sucks about the cancer. My best wishes towards a positive outcome. Since your the one with the pond, I'd be happy to bring a boat or two over for you to check out and chase geese with. I'd also be very interested in checking out that sub meet in Shrewsberry with you and your son. I could bring a boat up to show off the darker side of the hobby. :woot:

11. Ralph Architzel

Ralph Architzel Member

Steve, thanks again for keeping in touch. Been looking at your Atlanta build thread and it is awesome. I will be hanging on to your help soon as I am ready to spring for either a Strike model Northhampton ship kit with e-fire battle kit or if it would be significantly better instead go with a bc Desmoine or Cleveland. I would have liked to stop your shop by b4 ordering but the itch is scratching and may just go ahead and order and live with whichever choice so I have stuff to do in Feb. I saw caution about safety so want to be careful with bbs but I also hope what strike models provides won't be disqualifying for the Maryland battlegroup later in year (battling not a priority for sure for me)

Re Shrewsberry would love to have you join Mike and me. Its really not a sub pool, although there were three there in January. Mike has figured out how to seal the dry compartments and fix the ballast tank emergency blow so will be fun There are more surface ships than subs in the pool but also a number of ready to run rcs like my new Aquasport Fire rescue. Here is a link to some photos/videos of January pool session where one on the videos shows the lifeguard rescuing the sunken sub off pool bottom.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gf4RWgJFSSX1U6zs1

Why don't you plan to ride up with us the next session which is Feb 11. We'll be leaving 8:15 am or so and getting home early afternoon after having lunch. Nominal fee for the pool was $6 last month.

Re coming over here to see show your ships I would love to have you check it out and show off the boats. Unfortunately there has been no rain so with the darn pool drain open no water to float them. Hopefully that drain gets closed soon and then minimum water level will be above the long invert strainer in below picture by about 1 foot. That leaves a nice area surrounding swamp plantings to drive around.

low pool 20180126_114354.jpg

12. SteveT44

Sent you a pm on the ship kit.

On Shrewsberry, looks like a sedate group of guys. They may find my Barham (QE class BB) a little more energetic than their used to! The 11th may be doable. I'm flying out of town for a week on the 12th, I'll let you know.