Hello from Nevada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Litch42f, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Litch42f

Litch42f Well-Known Member

IMG_0160.JPG Hello,

I've been lurking on the site for about 6 months now but decided I wanted to get more involved. First found out about this hobby around '02 or so when I was in highschool. My dad got me into RC model boats pretty young but we never had heard of model warship combat until I found it surfing the web. I convinced him to buy us a Brooklyn from Swampworks.

When I got it and read the directions about window cutting and such I was terrified. I was so used to putting together an untouched (minus prop and rudder shafts) fiberglass hull for our models. I didn't know anybody in the area that was also in the hobby so I didn't ever expect to actually battle it, perhaps just shoot at floating targets at my local pond. That being said, we did make an attempt at cutting out windows. We only did about 3 a side making probably about 30% of the hull penetrable. We got her running and had the guns firing reliably probably half the time.

Fast forward 14 years. I still have the Brooklyn and my brother in law who lives nearby gets a Lutzow from Strike. I did some work on the Brooklyn and increase the penetrable parts of the hull closer to where they should be although probably not regulation. The Brooklyn finally sees combat on Lake Pleasant near Phoenix, AZ in the fall of 2016. Minor damage is reported from both sides.

Since then we have expanded to include an Exeter from my uncle-in-law, a Mogador that's in sea trials for my wife and an unknown German battlecuiser laid down as of last month from the brother-in-law.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. I'll post some build pictures of the Mogador which I do have some questions about for the more experienced folks. Also as a side note, since our little band never expected to find an actual competition anywhere in our region due to the lack of water, you may find some of my ships out of build regulation, we just wanted to get out there and have fun. That being said, I openly welcome critique as I would like to strive for a more compliant fleet.

2. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

Welcome...Nothing wrong with your own rule for your local club just remember first rule should always be SAFETY....that should NEVER be compromised. It will cost is eyes, money and reputation.The later affects us all. goggles and pins are cheap. again welcome!

3. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

Welcome

4. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Welcome! I assume you're in the southern reaches of Nevada? SCRAP is down in the Los Angeles area and battle many times a year.

5. Litch42f

Sin City indeed, where can I find more information about SCRAP?

6. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

7. Litch42f

What ruleset (building/battling) do you guys use and where could I find them?

8. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

They are a fast gun group, I think the rules are on their website, but they use the nominal IRCWCC building rules with a couple changes but nothing major. Definitely email Brian or Ty. First battle this year is in May. I'm coming down from the North. You should swing over if your able and have a NV invasion.