Hello from North Carolina

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Lord Haw Haw, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Lord Haw Haw

Lord Haw Haw Member

Hi,
    My name is Daniel. Last time had my boats on the water was 2008, last time in battle was 2005 on or about. Much older now. :)

In the Raleigh area, Cary to be precise. Have 2 boats Derfflinger and AC Scharnhorst. Tim Filemyr built my derf and Don Fisher my scharny. Both are in great condition, just need to update internals. I guess I will need to check if the rules have changed with regards to my boats?
    Any clubs in North Carolina or anyone in Raleigh area?

Best regards
    Dan

notSoGnarly likes this.
  2. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

Welcome Back Dan

Both are great boats. Most captains are using solenoids and circuit boards rather than servos and poppet valves, and Lipos vs SLA batteries. Reading the rules will help get the boats up to standards on penetrable areas.

But the main thing is camaraderie and enjoying the hobby as much as possible with like minded people.

Looking forward to meeting you on the pond.

Mark

Lord Haw Haw likes this.
  3. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

Welcome back!

Lord Haw Haw likes this.
  4. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Your Derf can now have three sidemounts and it gets a bigger rudder. You no longer have to have one sidemount be a rotate.

Lord Haw Haw likes this.
  5. Lord Haw Haw

Lord Haw Haw Member

Thank you sir :)

6. Lord Haw Haw

Lord Haw Haw Member

Hi Bob, 3 sidemounts is sweet. :)

7. Lord Haw Haw

Lord Haw Haw Member

Thank you Mark, I look forward too meeting you too sir :)

8. Robert Hoehl

Robert Hoehl New Member

Hello Dan,
    I’m in New Bern( relocated from OH a few months ago). I’m the proud owner of HMS Rodney( needs lots of work. Just wanted to say hello.

notSoGnarly and Lord Haw Haw like this.
  9. Lord Haw Haw

Lord Haw Haw Member

Hi Robert,
    Welcome to North Carolina sir. Thanks for contacting me.

10. notSoGnarly

notSoGnarly Well-Known Member

Hey Dan!
    I'm from Raleigh but currently in Athens, GA. I've only been in the hobby for a year so I'm still learning but next time in Raleigh we should meet up and talk shop.

Oh and BTW, I'm part of the Southeastern Attack Squadron, the Southeast US group of us.
    Here's our website.
    We got another captain recently returning from a long shore leave out near Charlotte.

Our next battle is February 17-19th in Statesboro GA. I bet we can get one of your boats on the water that weekend. Brian K got me in the hobby and has experience converting boats to lipos.

Nate A

Lord Haw Haw and Panzer like this.
  11. Lord Haw Haw

Lord Haw Haw Member

Hi Nate,
    I think we spoke before a long while back when I joined up on the SAS email list. Idk.

Brian K is the best. He has been immensely helpful through email. It's been very difficult to get just one boat through this refit process. And I am no closer to being ready.

Need another order to BC for more parts and then I might be able to put a working boat on the water.

12. notSoGnarly

notSoGnarly Well-Known Member

Ahh I vaguely remember that now.

In no way am I saying "don't order from BC", I order some stuff from them and it's does get here, plus I'm happy to support the guys who made this hobby what it is.

But if you are in a time crunch there are other sources for stuff. What are you looking for?

Lord Haw Haw likes this.
  13. Lord Haw Haw

Lord Haw Haw Member

BC are good people, I just wish that it didn't take 80 days to get stuff. But I am not complaining. When I took ac Scharnhorst out of bubble wrap and tested her guns they worked. 13 years and the BC guns worked! That's quality.

No time crunch here sir, going slow. I gotta watch my budget. Bought a few things from Amazon when they do the free shipping.
    But next on the list is regulators, Co2 bottle and guns.
    I haven't mentioned this but after the Scharnhorst refit, going straight into my first build. The predreadnought Henri IV, it's a wood hull, all in at under 6 pounds.

Check your inbox I will give you my email and later my mobile number if you want.

-Daniel