Hello from Quakertown, PA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Don Folk, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Don Folk

Don Folk Active Member

Hey guys,

I've been trolling your websites (in a good way) with great interest over the past few months. I hope to connect with a few of the area experts in the coming weeks/months to get an understanding of a good entry level, capable ship.

My interests include 3D printing (both SLA and FDM), robotics and RC scale rock crawling. Hopefully I'll be able make some new friends while digging into this branch of RC'ing.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.
    Don

rcaircraftnut and ZARUBA1987 like this.
  2. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Your in a great location for the Mid-Atlantic events. Have you decided on a format and boat yet?

3. Don Folk

Don Folk Active Member

Thank you, fast gun for sure. As for the boat, maybe a Baden, if I can get my hands on a partial completed build. Going from blank to finished product seems daunting and I'm intimidated...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Welcome!

It may seem more daunting, but starting blank can be better - Inheriting someone else's sins and problems can make for more trouble than its worth.

5. Don Folk

Don Folk Active Member

I need a mentor! I'll be on the lookout for any build sessions coming up that are remotely close to me.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  6. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Hey Don! Welcome to the forums! You're in a pretty good spot to battle fast gun.
    For a mentor/build sessions, @Gettysburg114th was having build sessions pretty regularly there for a while in Red Lion. You may try contacting him and see if you two can work something out.

Hope to see you at a battle!

7. Don Folk

Don Folk Active Member

Thanks for the warm welcome. I will contact Mr Gettysburg114th.

8. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

Welcome aboard!!! I think there will be a regional event in Bradford in Sept as well and you could get a feel for things and meet some people as well:):).
    Hope to see you on the Water.
    Craig

Don Folk likes this.
  9. Nate G

Nate G Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome. with your background, you have built and engineered enough stuff that this should not be a major leap. like robots, they need maintenance - esp if battling robots.
    Baden is a very good ship. it's smaller sisters Moltke and von der Tann are excellent also and with one less gun, easier to build and maintain as a first ship. I ran VdT for 5 years when I started and still think it is great. If Strike or the used Baden don't work out, communicate with the crew at BC for a VdT. You might call Stephen at Strike to see if he has stufff left for a full build of one of the Class 4 battlecruisers.
    The used Baden is a matter of how good a shape it is in. if good and solid, can save you a lot of time.

If you can make the drive to Bradford ( and I trained in Philly, so I know the roads and distance), I have a full shop and we will have a number of veterans to help you get started at the Sept 15 weekend event.

This is a great parent-child endeavor as well. My son and got into it when he was 10 and have been playing with this for 19 years.
    Again, Welcome.
    Nate G

Don Folk and NickMyers like this.
  10. Don Folk

Don Folk Active Member

Awesome info, thanks. The 9/15 weekend is clear for me now - I hope to make it up your way!

Nate G and Beaver like this.