Hello from Southern California

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Impulse_cat, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Impulse_cat

Impulse_cat New Member

Hello I found out about this hobby on youtube and it looked like a lot of fun so i decided that i would get into it. I have absolutely no experience making models or rc veichles prior to this(unless you count building lego sets). I might aska. Few questions that are a bit on the dumb side but please have patience as I am going to be lesrning. I hope you all have a nice day.

darkapollo likes this.
  2. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

No question is dumb. We all start somewhere!

Hi and welcome!!

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, Impulse_cat!

The nearest active club to you is the WWCC located in Watsonville, near Santa Cruz. I don't know where in CA you're located, so it might be a bit of a drive to get there. Probably not as bad as me though, since I drive down all the way from Washington! There is also a club in the Los Angeles area called SCRAP, although I haven't heard anything from them in a while so I don't know if they still have a pond to battle on. If you're interested in getting started, the best thing you can do is go to an event. Seeing the boats and talking with people IRL will answer more questions and get you further along than an entire year worth of online-only interactions. Whether you ultimately join the club you visit or start your own club, visiting a real club is a great first step.

Most clubs have wound down their battling for the winter. It's too cold to swim for sunken wrecks, so it's now the season to build new ships and repair/refit old ones.

4. Impulse_cat

Impulse_cat New Member

Oh jeez Washington is atleast a 15 hour drive thats quite the distance to be driving.

And wow unless scrap is still active ill iave a 2 hour drive to go see WWCC. It cant ca helped though if i wish to learn.

5. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

Welcome, I live in Roseville and drive 3 hours because WWCC is the closest club still playing. We might have a battle in December.

6. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

Welcome Impulse_Cat!

I hope you can come out to a WWCC event. We typically have more ships than captains, so lots of opportunities to join in the fun.

7. Calidus

Calidus Member

Welcome, SCRAP is expecting to have a battle Saturday December 3rd at Prado Lake in Chino, CA. We usually show up about 9AM and start around 10AM.

8. Impulse_cat

Impulse_cat New Member

About how long do you guys typically battle for? Also if I am able to attend would I need to bring anything with me.

9. Litch42f

Litch42f Well-Known Member

We'll probably be finishing up our last sortie around 130-2pm. If you're just starting out you shouldn't need to bring anything except safety glasses that include side protection. If you don't have any, the club has some to provide. Our club site is scrapcombatships.com. When you get to Prado Lake just tell the gate person you're with the RC battleships and they should let you in for free.

10. Impulse_cat

Impulse_cat New Member

Got it thanks

11. Brandon B

Brandon B Member

Hey Impulse_cat, I'm part of scrap too and I'm planning to make the dec battle. DM me and maybe we can get you in a loaner ship for dec!