Hello from Toledo, Washington

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jeremy Cook, Jul 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jeremy Cook

Jeremy Cook New Member

Hello, im Jeremy Cook. I'm a newbie when it comes to rc electronics, I want to learn and get into the hobby. most of my teen years I have build ships out of wood and sold them. I've always wanted to do rc warships because it looks fun and relaxing and gets my mind to think when it comes to working on ship models. I'm 18 years old and I'm a starting college student for naval engineering and I want to work to be a naval engineer. My father always worked everyday so he didn't really help me on my hobbys. My grandfather passed away when I was 8 and he worked in the navy on the USS L Resized952018112895214507.jpg exington, he would probably work with me and my hobbys if he was here. My other grandpa in a us airforce officer and cannot swim and is afraid of water. So I am mostly on my own with my hobbys but I am trying to learn and to explore.

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Where are you going to college. There is a group of us in Seattle.

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, Jeremy! There are several combat clubs in Washington, including both Fast Gun and 1/72 scale combat. Depending on where you are and how far you want to travel, you've got options.

BTW that is a very nice frigate you're building. Have you ever considered making it R/C? There are a number of people who build and sail square-rigged ships from the great Age of Sail. It is a great way to understand not just WHAT old sailing ships did, but WHY they did it. I personally have two 1:96 scale tall ships, the Constitution and the Victory, and I'm working on a 1:48 scale Constitution for combat. Not that there are many other age-of-sail combatants out there, but hey somebody has to be first :)

4. Jeremy Cook

Jeremy Cook New Member

Greg - I am currently going to LCC "Lower Columbia College", which Is 1 1/2 hours south of Seattle. Ive heard of the 1/72 scale fast gun group up there.

Kotor - Thanks for mentioning my frigate, I've spent a lot of time and effort to finish that model. I was trying to make a model of a french frigate that sail during the French Revolution. I will consider making it rc in the future but I must get down the basics of rc setup in ships first and focuse on a simpler ship to build and learn on because I'm a newbie. I want to make a light crusier like the RUS Chapeyev or a patrol crusier like Orlan that was never built but only remained on paper. I have a solid wood version of Orlan that I built for an art show/contest and got second for judges award.

Attached Files:

5. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

It is a 1/144 scale fast gun group. We battle near snohomish

6. Jeremy Cook

Jeremy Cook New Member

Sorry about that, probably looked at the wrong one.

7. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

There are two clubs in the region. The Fast Gun club is more active online.

8. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

We have a couple of members farther south. I am in Yelm, & we have another in Olympia. Battles are in Snohomish.

Keith

9. __Titan__

__Titan__ Member

I will be attending the Divers Institute of technology in October and I too would like to find a group out there and hopefully with some guidance build my first combat boat

10. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

I have a TON of plastic model ships lying around. None of them float though. And even if they did, they are 1/700 and to tiny for RC

11. __Titan__

__Titan__ Member

Yeah I too have been building plastic models for the past 8 years. Got a tape hull for a 1/144 Lusitania

12. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Did you find a group farther south?