hello from virginia

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by nmmichris, Sep 8, 2016.

1. nmmichris

nmmichris Member

Hello my name is chris. I reside in fredericksburg va. I've been considering the model rc warships for some time now and am looking for any groups in virginia. I'm not sure if I want to do fast gun or big gun or any other style. I like building rc and love the old ship so it's a win win to me. Although I'm a newbie my goal is to one day build and sail a use north carolina. Have to pay tribute to my birth state

2. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Hey Chris, welcome to the hobby. I'm up in Rockville MD and play fastgun. I think there's a semi-active biggun club in your area and they should be chiming in. The IRC (fastgun) is having their eastern fall regional battle next weekend (Sept 16,17, 18) not to far away near Hagerstown MD if you want to check it out.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  3. nmmichris

nmmichris Member

That would be great to watch. So what is the big difference between big gun and fast gun ships.

4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  5. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

Welcome!

6. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

There is a Big gun club down near Richmond, but I don't know how to get in touch with them. There is a large group of fast gunners here in Maryland, centered around Annapolis. There is a battle next weekend (16-18th.) at Greenbriar State Park, Boonsboro, Md. (halfway between Fredrick and Hagerstown on old Rte. 40. Come on up and see what the hobby is all about.

7. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

8. bmarkb

bmarkb Active Member

Hi Chris,
    The Mid-Atlantic Battle Group (MABG) has around 10 semi-active members in Virginia and Maryland. I am hoping to get us battling again in the near future. I am in Hampton, we have a member near you in Fredericksburg, too. Stay tuned for news on the MABG forum on this website.
    Cheers,
    Mark

9. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Hi Chris;

I am Marty Hayes, long term member of the IRC (www.ircwcc.org). I live near Annapolis, Md. and open my "shop" on most Fridays for boat building, chatting, and video watching. (not this coming Friday, we will be at battle). 1106 Skyway Drive, Cape S. Claire, MD.

10. nmmichris

nmmichris Member

@bmarkb that would be great if i could link up with a member you have in the area. To at least talk to and ask questions face to face. One thing i was wondering though in the differences between big gun and fast gun rc clubs... Is the ship hull essentially the same but just a few tweeks on the hardware makes them different? Nothing was mentioned about the hull build differences in the thread that was linked. Thanks a bunch :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  11. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

No, Big gun allows different balsa thickness on the hull dependent upon the armor thickness of the original ship, Fast gun (IRCWCC) uses 1/32" balsa (contest grade), and tests by dropping a 1/8" brass rod from 18" on to the side of the ship. There are other differences: ships speed, gun speed, size of projectile, ships which are allowed to be built. Also there are several different rule sets for big gun dependent upon where the club is, best to check with the local one. (MABG)

don't forget there is a battle this coming weekend northwest of Baltimore: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/great-guns-at-greenbrier-again-tickets-22701090573